cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost Connection

Richchad
Grafter

Lost Connection

I have lost my BB connection this morning, have done checks via Plusnet fault finder and has returned ticket saying ‘We are unable to identify the cause of your connection problems’. Please confirm that the problem is still occurring. If your problem is an intermittent connection, please provide details of the times when your service was not available. We will report your problem to BT and continue our investigations

I have returned ticket saying fault still persists and is not intermittent.

I have had no connection on a few occasions before after booting up my PC but usually I manage to get connection after a few minutes and using +net fault checker.
I have a Binatone 500 modem and the centre ADSL light is on steady, which I understand means I have connection with exchange and should not therefore be a problem with microfilter? The telephone line is working okay as I can use dial up modem to connect.
The data light on modem flashes when I try to connect via login status.

Anyone any idea if it is a problem with BT or my modem, if it is my modem and BT have been requested to check for fault, will they charge as no fault with their equipment?
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Lost Connection

when you press connect does it give you any error messages?

Getting BT out should only be done after you have gonedown every avenue of faults, as you are correct if its a fault in your side of the line or no fault at all then you are charged for it
N/A

Lost Connection

It's always best to recycle your modem even if it says its connected, Make sure you have got a filter between your Sky box and your BT line. Check that your ip address is right. There are trojans out there that change your ip!
Richchad
Grafter

Lost Connection

when you press connect does it give you any error messages?

Getting BT out should only be done after you have gonedown every avenue of faults, as you are correct if its a fault in your side of the line or no fault at all then you are charged for it

All I get is Connect ERROR..I have tried swapping Microfilters, the only thing I can't try is another modem.

Surely if I am paying for a service, and I am not getting it, they should be able to tell me if their side of it is working okay without charging, as that is what I am paying for.
Richchad
Grafter

Lost Connection

It's always best to recycle your modem even if it says its connected, Make sure you have got a filter between your Sky box and your BT line. Check that your ip address is right. There are trojans out there that change your ip!

Where will I find my IP address and how will I know if it is rightHuh
Community Veteran

Lost Connection

your IP address is obtained when you connect to the internet, there shouldb't be any problems with your IP address.

Are you getting any error numbers when you connect? It sounds like its a driver or hardware problem
Richchad
Grafter

Lost Connection

your IP address is obtained when you connect to the internet, there shouldb't be any problems with your IP address.

Are you getting any error numbers when you connect? It sounds like its a driver or hardware problem

No error numbers, just connect ERROR.
I have tried rebooting modem & PC, also tried the BT test username & password that the plusnet fault checker gives without success.

I get the Binatone Status/settings pages okay.

Don't know what else to check or try?
Richchad
Grafter

Lost Connection

Was asked to power cycle my modem by customer services by disconnecting phone line from modem for at least an hour as the exchange checks every 20 minutes for connection and if it sees no connection it resets as sometimes exchage thinks it is connected when it isn't..?
Did this but no joy, but have re-input my username and it worked, so may have had incorrect username after changing it during tests with Plusnet, and therefore the power cycle may have done the trick. Cheesy
N/A

Lost Connection

Glad you have it sorted.
Happy Easter!
N/A

unable to connect

Yes I have also been through that route with the "unable to connect problem" error 721. This happened from Monday 10 April until Tuesday 11 April. Poor response frome the help desk via the phone told me to uninstall the modem software and reinstall, no difference?, had various conntact notes going backward and forward and still no help. Thursdayday 9:00 trying to logon to PlusNet all I got was a request to insert my logon Id and password, after 2 hours of this I eventually connected and sent a blistering note to the Plusnet team stating that I considered the problem to be in their portal. Dont go down the road of getting BT in to check your line unless there is no other way, I went that way with my last ISP which was an ordinary conection and it cost me £55 pounds and they found nothing wrong
Richchad
Grafter

Re: unable to connect

Yes I have also been through that route with the "unable to connect problem" error 721. This happened from Monday 10 April until Tuesday 11 April. Poor response frome the help desk via the phone told me to uninstall the modem software and reinstall, no difference?, had various conntact notes going backward and forward and still no help. Thursdayday 9:00 trying to logon to PlusNet all I got was a request to insert my logon Id and password, after 2 hours of this I eventually connected and sent a blistering note to the Plusnet team stating that I considered the problem to be in their portal. Dont go down the road of getting BT in to check your line unless there is no other way, I went that way with my last ISP which was an ordinary conection and it cost me £55 pounds and they found nothing wrong

I action ticket yesterday and again today to cancel fault report to BT, but no reply from Contact us...so checked with BT website and see fault has been reported on my phone number, rang BT 151, cancelled fault, and it now shows 'fault repaired to my satisfaction' on BT website.
Hope this is the end of it, not sure what will happen if/when Plusnet eventually get round to cancelling fault with BT...
Richchad
Grafter

Lost Connection

Had problem with connection again this morning, my Binatone Login Status showed connection status ERROR Sad
I disconnected the telephone line from modem for an hour to do a power cycle as a guy from Contact us suggested before, reconnected and have connection back Smiley
Is this a fault at the exchange where it thinks it has a connection and it doesn't until it resets after power cycle, or does the fact that I power down my modem each night...as problem only seems to occur when first booting up PC, although it doesn't happen every time??
Any ideas anybody?? :?:
N/A

Lost connection

Lost boadband connection this morning. This is recently a recurring problem for me. The only way to send or collect important email has been by dial-up.

Are others out there finding less reliability of late?
N/A

No connection

Hi

I haven't had a connection to BB since late last night. There is nothing to indicate a problem on their site but the phone is constantly busy. What's going on?!

I've tried the disconnecting the line for an hour and switching off the router but still doesn't work. This has happened before but usually I can get connected after re-booting the computer or using dial up then going back to bb.
N/A

Similar experience

I just went through a similar experience; my connection kept dropping, on average every three hours or so for 20 mins. The fault finder found no fault (when it worked at all), PlusNet advised BT 150, who laughed, I swapped modems and line filters all to no avail. Eventually my service degraded over 8/9 April until it died completely. Then suddenly, on the morning of the 10th, service came back and has been rock solid ever since.

I have a lot of sympathy with PlusNet, having seen the quality of error report they get from BT (which suggested a bad earth and suggested a fault with customer equipment). In this day and age I would have expected their diagnostics to be a lot better than that.

BT were replacing line cards in the Manchester area (where I am) and I'm curious to know if the other people suffering these intermittent problems are from the same part of the country?