cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost Connection

N/A

Lost Connection

Having been 'told-off' for hijacking here is my post;

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My laptop lost access to broadband just before Christmas and I can't access my emails or the internet.

I use a wireless NetGear router which has been checked by a colleague and its fine, I've tried using a LAN cable direct from the laptop to the router but still no access. My BT line is fine and am able to use my telephone and dial-up account without any problems.

Have tried to contact customer services but waiting times are awful and don't really want to wait til after 10pm!! I've used the ticket system but it takes you through to the fault checker and after a certain point you need broadband access to carry on!!

Does anyone have any suggestions/can help?
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Lost Connection

are you able to log in to your router?
N/A

Lost Connection

Cheesy She calls that a telling off...

The bad news is that it's a Netgear...How old is it? Mine failed after four months. And we need to know the model number if possible. DG834G, DG834GT or something different?
Community Veteran

Lost Connection

we've been pm'ing each other just waiting on the results of some tests

Hopefully they aint all bad news!
N/A

Lost Connection

Well I thought it was a telling off so Tongue

Customer Services think it could be something to do with my password - am going to try and get through to them later - wish me luck!!

But thank you both for your help - much appreciated. And if they can't fix it I'll be back in touch!! Smiley
N/A

Still running original firmware?

Have you by any chance "flashed" the firmware on this router? No, no, I know what you're thinking, but in this context "flashing" means updating the built-in code in the router that makes it work.

The reason I ask is that when I flashed the firmware in my old router it seemed to corrupt the password, and I only got it back working by typing in the password again and saving it. And yes, just like you, I contacted Plusnet support. I figured out the solution first and they noticed I'd logged on again and gave me the brush off! Try it. You haven't forgotten it, have you...Cheesy

Believe me, if I told you off, you'd be able to tell the difference...Shockedops:
N/A

Lost Connection

Hey - I didn't even know the model of my router - do you seriously think I'm capable of 'flashing' (of any kind may I add!!!) the thing!!!!! No I think not!! :lol:

Unless I did it by accident - in which case how might I have done that?
N/A

Lost Connection

It's not something you can do by accident! It involves downloading the exact file necessary, unzipping (oh no, I can see where this is going again...ShockedopsSmiley and then uploading that file to the router.

If you didn't do it, and no one else did it for you, then I begin to suspect it's the actual router itself that may be becoming faulty, just like mine did. The router in question is a NetGear DG834G v2, she says by PM, so it's the same router as mine, just with a wireless card inside, and an antenna...

I don't think you told us how old the actual router is. Mine died after four months...see my sig below for the solution I found...
N/A

Lost Connection

Can't you just tell IT was the invention of a MAN!! Flashing, unzipping.....!!! :lol:
N/A

Mind out of the gutter...

I didn't invent the terms...it's your dirty mind.:roll:

For the benefit of the rest of the "group", Jo tells me by PM that the DG834G V2 is approximately 4 months old, and as she says no one has done anything to the firmware, it looks intriguingly as if it may be the same slide into oblivion as my DG834 suffered. I blamed the firmware update for my own problems, but perhaps that was just co-incidence. If you, dear reader, bought a Netgear DG834 or 834G in August or September 2005, have you noticed any odd behaviour in it?

Jo, if you've logged into the router using Internet Explorer, retyped the (new) account password and login account details and clicked the apply button to save them, and yet the "i" light just blinks orange for a while or not at all, and then stops blinking, then it may be a dud, just like mine. Let us know.
N/A

Lost Connection

Hi guys,

Coming in to the play a bit late here. Dont know how I missed this one. :roll:

I know its rare for a Netgear router to fail (/steps back and ducks while Andrew chokes Smiley )

But there was a batch of DG834's and DG834G's last summer which were a bit iffy. We actually had our first batch of DOA routers in that time and some which were on site failed in and exibhited similar symptoms to this issue. Netgear will quickly swap this router out if you give them a ring and explain the situation.

Netgear Support can be reached on 0870 112 1206
N/A

Coughs his supper all over the screen...

(steps back and ducks while Andrew chokes Smiley )

Just junk it and get a LinkSys...instead of "Hi! I'm router Barbie!" By all means keep the Barbie as a spare...