cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Losing the internet on my router, what can be the problem?

flicker
Grafter

Hi for 2 nights this week, although my wireless router still shows I am connected, signal strength excellent, and I can still run the speed test and am connected at over 5000kpbs, I can't get any internet or web pages, get the error message. On Wednesday I used an old dial up account I have so that I could carry on chatting with my friends on Messenger, and when it happened last night I came into my bedroom and used my USB broadband modem plugged in to the master socket, which was fine also, so it's not the broadband. This morning, my router still wouldn't connect so I turned it off at the mains, and then back on and it was okay. Why is this happening, does it mean my router is about to die on me? Any help please. :?
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Hi,

Are you on xp sp2 or vista? What router are you using? Are you wired or wireless? When you loose internet connection have you tried typing in a webpage address and hitting return.

I use vista and occasionally when the internet is not apparently avaliable if I use my browser it kicks back to life.

have you set the Pn DNS servers in your PC, Router or do you let the router find them automatically?

A
flicker
Grafter

I am on XP SP2. My router is a D-Link G604T, I am normally wireless, but did try using ethernet connection last night when I lost the internet. I am not losing connection, my router showed I had been connected for about 100 hours. I could still do a speed test which showed I was connected to my broadband. I just can't get any webpages to load. I click on Google for instance, and get the error message saying page cannot be loaded, check I am connected to the internet (which I am) DNS are set to auto.
N/A

When this happens again first type from the cmd prompt
ping 194.119.131.66 let us know the results
then type
ping www.plus.net and let us know

If the first ping work but the second doesnt then its a dns issue.
try on your pc setting the dns to 208.67.222.222

You can try typing
ipconfig /flusdns and see if that solves it

type ipconfig /all and post the results
You say you can do a speed test how are you doing this?
flicker
Grafter

Hi thanks for the help. I have written down what you have said, because obviously when it happens again, I can't get on this page to see it.

I have about 4 different speed test websites saved to my favourites. When I couldn't get any webpages to load, eg, this one, google, other forums I belong to, I clicked on the main one that I use, (http://www.speedtest.net/) and I can still do this test, it is as normal. Weird or what, as it is in theory, a webpage is it not? :?

Oh and also, it's not browser related I don't think because I tried with IE, Firefox and Maxthon (which is my main one)
N/A

This is almost certainly a DNS issue- the IP address of the speedtester will be stored your host file. If you regularly visit other websites then you may find that these work and all other sites/services do not.

If DNS is the issue then you should be still able to ping an IP address as mwright says.

Try manually configuring your DNS settings with the following addresses-

Is probably also worth trying to see if configuring them on the router makes a difference, but usually problems like this are between the client PC and the DHCP server.
flicker
Grafter

Hey thanks, I've written all that down too, from the link page too so that I know what to do, I may well change those anyway though. I am learning lots of new things today! I didnt even know what a dns was before. Shockedops:
N/A

Computers only know websites by a number like 194.119.131.66 they dont know anything about www.plus.net. As humans we couldn't remember the numbers.

DNS solves this problem so when you ask for www.plus.net you pc says what is the number and it ask the dns server for this number and having got it it then uses the number.

So if the dns isnt right it cant know were to find a webpage