cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Losing my connection

bigbry
Dabbler

Losing my connection

I have broadband on a binatone usb modem. If I leave my computer for a while and come back I am unable to connect to the internet. The same page not found error happens when I try and load the binatone page, local to my pc, for re-connecting (doing diag tests etc). The only way I have found to restore the connection is to reboot the PC. As you will appreciate this is very annoying. Any ideas anyone?

Cheers

Bryan
4 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Losing my connection

Hi,

Is this the Binatone modem with 3 lights on the front (there's two versions one with 2 lights and one with 3)? Also does it only happen when you leave the PC or does it ever happen when you are actively using the connection.

If it's the former then it could be power management settings on the PC. Sometimes the power management will be set to switch the USB ports off if the PC is idle for a certain amount of time.
bigbry
Dabbler

Losing my connection

Thats interesting. I have the one with 3 lights, i.e. power, sync and data transfer. It only happens when we are away from the PC. I have recently formatted and reinstalled everything on my pc. Though I had the problem before I haven't had it for a few months so may be it is something to do with my set up.

Where will I find the set up you are talking about do you know? I run XP on a Dell machine.

Thanks for your help.

Bryan
Aterlatus
Grafter

Losing my connection

Right click my computer > properties.

Go to the hardware tab then click device manager.

Expand the "Universal Serial Bus" menu then double click on the USB root hub (you might have more than one, do it for each of them).

Hit the power management tab and make sure the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" checkbox is cleared.

Hope that was clear enough ;p
bigbry
Dabbler

Losing my connection

I have done that and will see if this resolves the problem. Thanks for your help.

Bryan