cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Losing connection

N/A

Losing connection

I have just rebuilt my machine from ground up totally new install of win xp all updates have been done recently while using the net it seems to lose the upstream connection I have to restart the modem and redial !!! any ideas ?? its a new one on me everything is the same as I had in the previous build. When it fails the connection is still live in the systray

Winxppro
256mb
Athlon 550
Gygayte 7xi mobo
Zoom USB modem 5510
Belkin USB2 card (connected to modem)
3 REPLIES
elton
Grafter

RE: Losing connection

I had a problem when I first upgraded to XP from ME, in that I'd lose the ethernet connection to my router. It turned out that XP was powering down my NIC card after some period of inactivity, to save power. How stupid is that? There was some obscure option somewhere to prevent it.

It's obviously not the same problem as you're having, but it might be a similar cause.
--
Skonko!
N/A

You can try switching to standard power managment, this seems to cure many issues related to power managment.

Note: A lot of drivers may need to be re-detected, and display settings may reset.
N/A

> You can try switching to standard power managment, this seems to cure many issues related to power managment.
>
> Note: A lot of drivers may need to be re-detected, and display settings may reset.

All and all windows XP is a damanding operating system requiring loads of memory and a fast processor to kick its assss.
You could also do yourself the favour by upgrading your motherboards bios. Loads of patches and ***** involved so best get that sorted.
Also a USB modem is crap(no offense just based on statistics as it demands plenty of power and too many USB connections can slow a system down so stick to low powered USB devices.
I personally would like everyone to go full router with LAN abilities as its the bees knees in networking etc.
When I upgraded 1st to WIN XP, my processors fan failed to operate causing a smell of heated metal to enter the room. Luckily I previously owned the ol faithful P2-400 that still pumped further after the M/B's bios was updated.

Hope you guys have learned a bit in this lesson.

Let us know how you getting on.

Cheers

Tucker