cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Losing Connection repeatedly this afternoon

chrisco
Grafter

Got to be quick as my connection keeps dropping - when I try to reconnect it comes up with error 734 two or three times & then finally connects again. Any ideas?
Can someone provide me with a link to the connection log so I can tell if there's a pattern.Everything was A1 until about 4pm.
Chris Cole (Just dropped again took 3 attempts to recomnnect)
10 REPLIES
N/A

Apparently error 734 means: The PPP link control protocol was terminated.

What kind of equipment do you use to connect, a modem (USB or ethernet), or a router? Check the device's manual to see if it has an event log, this might give you a bit more information on the problem.

Has this only started recently, and is there any event you can link it to? Things like bad weather can sometimes affect ADSL connections. It might be worth raising a link:contact us ticket to see if they have any further suggestions.
chrisco
Grafter

I logged off earlier for about 2 hours,logged on again & everything seems to be ok this evening. I connect through USB Voyager 105.
We did have a storm brewing earlier but that was about 5pm a good hour after the disconnecting started. Ran the diagnostics test for modem & it passed on all counts. Mystery :?:

Thanks for your help.

Chris
N/A

Hi,

It might be worth running through the ADSL Wiring and Filters tutorial. If that doesn't help, again I'd suggest raising a link:contact us ticket - it's probably worth mentioning that you've tried everything suggested in that tutorial too, so they don't ask you to run through it again.
chrisco
Grafter

Have had no problems today, TBH I have so much on at the moment I literally have no spare time to spend trawling through the tutorial but have had a quick flick through & with regard to filters, I set this up 2 years ago (when we 1st went over to bb) & nothing has changed & have never experienced this problem before, would have thought any wiring problems would cause a fairly constant fault (famous last words!!)
As they say if it's not broken, don't mend it so I'll leave well alone for the time being. If it starts again I will raise a ticket.
Thanks,

Chris
N/A

Same problems

Ive been getting disconnected too..................seems Ive just received the Free regrade form 512kb to 1.1 MB and the line is now too sensitive? Ive disconnected everything from the BT socket as instructed by Plusnet, but I do need my phones and satelite to be connected!. Perhaps I need better filtering? I`m waiting for a reply for my `Ticket` as to what to do next? As I`m typing this text, only one phone is connected to the socket with the computer(PCI internal modem) I also use an extension to the 1st floor for telephone and a Satelite connection!
Community Veteran

Sounds like you've already done part of this but work through the following tutorials:

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/10
http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/13

Also you must ensure that sky and your phones are unplugged when trying to diagnose the problem.
N/A

better Filters?

Hi no7olivie...........
My setup from the bt master socket is as follows..........
BT Master + Filter/Splitter (to PCI Modem in next room and 3 way phone adaptor) Phone, Phone on extension to upper floor, Satelite.

This I believe to be correct, as the ADSL signal passes from the filter directly to my internal modem. The Telephone plug side of the splitter is then fitted with a 3 way phone adaptor to provide 2 phones and the Satelite connection.
Up untill my regrade last night from 512 to 2.2Mb this worked without problem!
However I now get disconnected, so if I unplug the Satelite, it works ok for a while, but have now had to disable the extended line to the phone on the upper floor!
As all the ancillary equipment is passing through the filter/splitter, is it possible that ONE FILTER is not sufficient to cover all equipment, and that each `extra` should have its own filter? ( there would be a few filters in the system)
Also, I`ve heard that there are `better` splitter/filters available? is this true, can some splitters work better than others.
At present, I just have a splitter fitted with ONE phone and my PCI modem connected.
I`m now contemplating buying a DECT phone system, to do away with the hardwired one to the upper floor, maybe have 3 mobiles. Wonder if this would cause any problemsHuh

Regards

Chas
Community Veteran

Just skimmed your post sorry, hate to be a pain but could you draw a rough diagram of the layout you described - just makes it a tad easier to follow than in text if you catch my drift?

We have dect phones and these have never caused any problems with the service, but I belive some can from reading elsewhere, have a look at this thread for info on phones known to work.
N/A

F I X E D ?

:lol: BOY AM i HAPPIER NOW :lol:
Ok this is the set up now.....
FINALY FIXED?........ok I now have my ADSL working!! I still have only ONE filter installed, but have My Computer connected, and also the TWO Phones(one on extension) and a Satelite receiver. The only change I have made is to change to a better ADSL filter supplied with my NEW ADSL Netgear DG834 Router that arrived today. It would appear to be a better filter, and has`nt cut me off for over an hour. So to recap: BT SOCKET//QUALITY FILTER//3 Way ADAPTOR.
Community Veteran

Glad you're sorted.