cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looks like it was a BT problem all along

Community Veteran

Since being upgraded to MaxDSL in the summer, I had wildly fluctuating sync speeds with the attenuation fluctuating too, which seemed to do with a noisy line and mainly occurred during wet and/or windy weather. It was investigated by PlusNet and BT in August and while it seemed fixed for a while the problems recurred but I just could not be bothered to go through all that rigmarole again.

The line got noisier than ever over the next month and I wondered if this time the filters were starting to fail, so I was investigating putting in new faceplates on the master socket and/or extensions to see if that might help. Meanwhile, I changed the filters around and things improved with both downstream and upstream attenuation dropping a notch and stabilising at 30.0 and 17.0 respectively.

I happened to look at the Exchange Status Checker a week or two later and noticed that it was showing red for the time when things improved (it's back to green now). Funny. I swapped in the better quality filter which I previously used with my router and which I had changed earlier and the connection stayed good, so I can only assume that BT were working on whatever problems they had at the exchange and had fixed something that had been wrong all along and which they had missed when they were investigating in August.

The only problem I've just started getting is that my noise margin creeps up and so my speed creeps down. Maximum speed I can get is just over 6000 (usually around 5600) but it's currently at 3040 with a noise margin of 18 (usually around 5.0), with a stable rate of 2000 (maximum I've got recently has been 5500).

I have an idea it might be a different manifestation of the wet'n'windy weather problem, which BT denies exists, as it has only been happening over the last week since we've had some heavy rain but that might just be coincidence. Any ideas what might else be causing this and what I could try?
Plusnet user since November 2003
Currently on Unlimited Fibre Extra and Unlimited UK & Mobile Calls
2 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Its possibly the DSLAM at the exchange noticing your loss of sync, and raising your SNR accordingly. Its a normal feature of BTs!!! If your sync is stable for 3 days I think then the DSLAM will automatically lower your SNR.

I think this is what happens anyway
Community Veteran

The thing is that I haven't been losing sync recently as far the router logs were telling me, just the speed going down and the noise margin going up. When I resync by switching off and on again it goes up to the higher speed and the lower noise margin.

Well, that was when I posted the original message. Today I have been getting lots of LCP down type disconnections for a change. I'll see if it's just a one off before I contact CS!
Plusnet user since November 2003
Currently on Unlimited Fibre Extra and Unlimited UK & Mobile Calls