cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for an Ethernet connected ADSL Modem

N/A

I'm trying to buy an ethernet-connected ADSL modem - there seem to be very few of them readily available. Argos, of all people, have some Binatone thing; Simply have the Zoom unit and DLink 300G+ - and that seems to be about it.

Anyone got any views on either the Zoom or DLink kit, or any ideas on where else to get hold of a (sanely priced) unit?

I don't want a router - I've already got a wireless router - I now need an ADSL modem to attach to it - and I've been astounded how hard it has been to find anything

Steve
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Well, the one in Argos is a router... and if you search this board, you'll find my (positive) view of it (I use it myself). Smiley

Thomas
N/A

I use the Dlink 300G+ as well. You can get that from:

http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/

That has Ethernet link on it and is easy to set-up.
N/A

That Netgear seems to be th emost widely available (and cheapest), but I've just seen an online review that said it doesn't work with a Buffalo 54G - and I've got... you guessed it.

Anyone used X-Modem (the product, not the comms protocol)?
N/A

I am using a Zoom X3 at this very moment, with no problems.

It is a modem/router and can be used through a hub with many computers and with
differnt O.S.

This note is using Win98, but it also operates very well using RedHat Linux

Harry.g
N/A

So far, I've found a grand total of 4 devices - wouldn't have believed there were so few readily available.

• Zoom X4
  • Netgear DM602
  • D-Link DSL-300G+
  • X-Modem
The X-Modem seems to either be new, or not widely known, but has the plus side of stating that it will support my Buffalo 54G. I've read a review of the 300G+ that says it's unhappy with non-Dlink routers, so that looks to be out of the equation. The Zoom & Netgear I know zilch about.

Any further input on this? Is everyone using USB modems?
N/A

As I mentioned before, I am using the Dlink 300+. This is connected to my netgear ADSL/wireless router. These have worked fine together for ages now. Not had any problems at all, only when I rebuilt my main PC and forgot to note the wireless keys!!

Dan
N/A

Well, FWIW, I eventually settled on a Netgear DM602 /; Buffalo WBR-G54 combo. Very pleased with them, though had cause to rip out large portions of hair before I eventually got them to work (mainly caused by what appears to have been a fault in the internal telephone extension wiring. Damn dodgy wiring, what clown... oh, hold on a minute, that was me Shockedops: )

A few gotchas along the way - the main one being - make sure both machines are on the same range of internet addresses, and make sure only one of them is acting as a DHCP server

Very happy with them both now - just need to get a wireless card and then it will all really be a Postive Contribution my Modern Lifestyle
N/A

Re: Looking for an Ethernet connected ADSL Modem

I don't want a router - I've already got a wireless router - I now need an ADSL modem to attach to it - and I've been astounded how hard it has been to find anything

Excuse me! I don't understand this discussion -- surely, by definition, a device with an ADSL interface on one end and an Ethernet interface on the other is an ADSL router. It routes from the Ethernet interface to the ADSL interface, and vice versa.

Far from not wanting a router, a router is exactly what you're after!