cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long Ethernet or long telephone extension

N/A

Hello, I'm sure this is a simple matter for someone who knows.

I have to have my main computer some distance from the main telephone point, about 20m.

Would I do better to have the router at the phone point and a long ethernet cable, or a long telephone extension cable and the router next to my computer?

Thank you!
8 REPLIES
N/A

Hi there and welcome to the forums,

personally I would have the router next to the phone line and run a long ethernet cable to your computer.
Ethernet cables are generally harder wearing and can take more punishment in my experience.

No doubt someone else will have a different opinion Wink

Regards,
Andrew D Wiles
N/A

a cat 5e standard twisted pair ethernet cable has a range of 75-100m where as a crappy phone cable you pick up has a range of about 20m, plus the modem needs to be close to the main socket so it dose not suffer noise. hence go for the long ethernet cable into a switch where your PCs are.
N/A

Before going wireless I had a 20m cable going down to my shed. But the router was on the end of a 10m phone extension cable
It all worked perfectly, just lucky perhaps
Community Veteran

Ethernet every time for me. It also tend to have a lot less signal loss and interference than an equivelant length of phone cable.
N/A

In 90% of cases it won't make any difference. The phone cable from the exchange to your house is crappy already so an extra few metres on top of the existing 3 or 4km usually doesn't matter. However it is possible to pick up noise inside the house on unshielded, untwisted, low quality extension cable and so ethernet (eg cat5 with specified performance and noise immunity) is a safer option.
N/A

CAT5E

You could always use CAT5e as your telephone extension cable.
N/A

you can, but whats teh point
N/A

Thanks everyone. I've gone with cat5 and am whizzing along.

Well, apart from the monkeys at btw only having connected me at 1mb, despite living only 750m from the exchange and having noise of 26db. Still waiting for a regrade...