cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Load Balancing Hell

N/A

Load Balancing Hell

Please,please please, there must be someone out there that can rescue me from this hell.

My P2P programs crawl along at 1kb at good times, I've even had files downloading that don't even register a download speed, they just sit there with a big fat 0 and showing me that a 1mb file is going to take 3 years to download.

Before anybody points me to the 'tweaks' thread; the 'pipes' thread or the 'what the f%£k is up' thread, save your limited bandwidth. And no, I will not send you my router make, model, RWIN/MTU values, or stat reports from God.

I have read all the excuses surrounding this issue on this and external forums, but to me it seems that the worst affected are users on the plus.net realm who are stuck on the Redbacks.

Call me a cynic, but would it happen that most of the users on this realm are longer term customers, those of us that have demonstrated their loyalty to plusnet over the years, those maybe presumed by +net to be the most likely to put up with this nonsense for a while.

Well OK, our patience (well at least mine) has been tested well beyond stretching point, oh how I hark back to the days of a working 1/2 meg connection, as opposed to this pseudo 1meg connection I sometimes have(lucky to get 56K speeds most times and the ADSLguide speed test just mocks me with a reported speed of 10 -13kb).

PLEASE PLUSNET, GET BT OR WHOMEVER TO PULL THEIR FINGER OUT SOMETIME SOON, THIS IS WAY BEYOND A JOKE.
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Load Balancing Hell

Two things you forget, BT p2p is limited by:

One your upload credit rating
Two the sources Upload bandwidth

If you are trying to get a file from limited sources then someone with a better upload rating gets in first before you, so you have to wait. Addon the sources bandwidth limitations and it can be hours before you get any sort of downloading speed.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
SiMania
Grafter

Load Balancing Hell

Have you opened the relevant ports on your firewall? I have no problem whatsoever usign p2p networks.
N/A

Load Balancing Hell

Thanks for the comments guys.

I've been using P2P clients for many years and am aware of all that you've stated, firewall permissions granted etc.

The issue is not with the software, my setup or busy hosts, it's purely a transfer prob.

Are other ISP's experiencing this problem?, look at the forums, they're not, only +Net.
N/A

Load Balancing Hell

Are other ISP's experiencing this problem?, look at the forums, they're not, only +Net.

This is because they are the only ISP to have a mixture of 155Mbps and 622Mbps pipes.

Tim
N/A

Load Balancing Hell

My point exactly Tim.

I presume that this config is meant to help with bandwidth redundancy over the force9 network as a whole, but it's messing up my QOS (Quality Of Surfing) big time.

I guess the bottom line is that if it persists too long, a reluctant move to another ISP might be the answer.
N/A

Load Balancing Hell

PlusNet have been having numerous meetings with BT, but unfortunately these sort of issues do take time to diagnose and resolve. I understand the frustration that this is causing you, but at least PlusNet are open about problems like this.

Tim