cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LoL Fair usage?

N/A

LoL Fair usage?

Ok. I joined Plusnet nearly a year ago, to be precise 8 months ago. 4 months till I can leave and get another ISP Cheesy.

When i started there was no limits of any p2p usage or usenet. Now omg I can download 15 gig in peak time then I am capped, this would be fine for me if peak time was at a reasonable hour say between 6pm and 12pm when most normal working folks are in from work and using the net. If I am being capped between 8am and 12 midnight ffs that gives me 8 hours to try and get what I want from usenet or p2p and considering I am on 1meg and cannot get any other product then I think tbh imho that sucks.

Why is peak time 8am to 12 midnight lol how many users are looking for peak service at 8am :? apart from some peeps who are unlike me out working to pay for there BB connection. I thought this ISP was the dogs when I joined, which it was, now it is tbh pathetic. I am getting more than high pings on games that I have played for years with no problems with other ISP's, Tech support are STILL looking into it. I sit and look at stuff I would like to download from the net ,but cant, because I have downloaded 40 gig this month with more than 15 of them between 8am and 12 midnight. maybe I cancel my BB connection and plug in my US Robotics Modem again at least I know where I stand. What is the point of the BB revolution when I cannot use it too its full capacity.
14 REPLIES
donj53
Grafter

LoL Fair usage?

Just read their super new rules on usage after I noticed they've split my usage amounts again.I notice there is no amount given between midnight and 8am but you can bet they'll count it and slow the connection.Three months till I can leave.I cant wait.
Sakky
Dabbler

LoL Fair usage?

I just notice this new usage monitor tonight and can't quite understand it. Which is peak and which is not. The 8am-4pm and then 4pm - midnight got me totally baffled :? ... I mean are these both stil peak like before or not, it's listed separately and not as one band :? and yeah there was nothing about midnight to 8am :shock: and I can't find any new details/info on it nor did I receive any mail about the changes. :?
N/A

LoL Fair usage?

I posted a ticket the day i noticed the 2 peak time bands.. they returned my ticket stating that peak time was 4pm till midnight and that was that.
So i guess its not just us that dont understand it :lol:
Sakky
Dabbler

LoL Fair usage?

I posted a ticket the day i noticed the 2 peak time bands.. they returned my ticket stating that peak time was 4pm till midnight and that was that.
So i guess its not just us that dont understand it :lol:

What the heck is 8am to 4pm suppose to be then :lol: :roll:
worm
Grafter

LoL Fair usage?

They are both 'peak' for different things Smiley

(hope I get this the right way round)

8am to 12 is peak for p2p, ftp and usenet
4pm to 12 is peak for everything

so to get your total peak usage, you add together your 8am-4pm and 4pm-12 amounts
N/A

LoL Fair usage?

The point is you sign up for a product and sign a contract. You buy the product which gives you 30 gig usage a month anytime then they change the contract and impose restrictions. A contract is just that both parties sign to an agreement you cant then change it if you dont like it unless both parties agree.

You wouldnt buy a car for £10,00 and then 3 months later the dealer says I want 15,000.

I signed for 30 gig a month and I use 25-29 gig a month which is fair but now my P2P download is 0 until after midnight when it springs to life so I cant download 30 gigs anymore if I use P2P. P2P is in my case low bandwidth anyway as I only get 50k most of the time
N/A

LoL Fair usage?

I also think the new P2P restrictions are a joke! I've already contacted PlusNet about how they're going to lose users over this and I urge ALL of you to do ths same! PlusNet are a very good ISP, cheap, reliable, fast - but with limits of 15 - 20gb for P2P usage a month, it's absolutely unnaceptable compared to similar ISPs who offer UNLIMITED (!!) broadband for only a few quid cheaper.

I had no problems with the last version of the Fair Usage policy - download up to 100gb a month or be warned! That was fine, since I could get away with that (even if barely Tongue).

Guys who are leaving: what are some other ISPs who offer truly unlimited broadband (at least 2mb) for around the same price as PlusNet? I know UKonline do and Demon, but their speed and reliability isn't as good as PlusNet's on ADSLGuide. I would ABSOLUTELY LOVE to stick with PlusNet as they are really fantastic, but alas, 20gb of P2P usage is an absolute joke!

If you could let me know some good, established *unlimited* ISPs I would be very greatful. Thanks.
Sakky
Dabbler

LoL Fair usage?

I've been looking into new isp lately, to see what is around and what is good. I personally haven't heard of ICUK but on the isp review site, it seem they are quite good.

@ rnjngn what new p2p restriction? I haven't seen the new imposed t&c. Can you point me to where I can view it? I thought the limited was still the same as last time except for the new peak time thingy. :?
N/A

LoL Fair usage?

sakky, it may be the same - I just found out about it very recently because - suprise suprise - I wasn't sent any emails about the change. It's such a shame, I used to respect PlusNet so much, and now they've gone down the drain.

The restrictions are here (see the "Platinum...Gold...etc." section and below):
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/network/traffic_management.shtml
pgudge
Grafter

LoL Fair usage?

PN is coming to end i'm affraid, probably about 70% of costomers signed up for their kick 4ss service and unlimted-ness and are counting the days to the end of the 12 month contract. The rest probably dont know what quota is, so they are unaffected.

https://www.e7broadband.com/

Thats were I'm off shortly, and every poor b*gg*r I recommended PlusNet to.

I dont hate PN, and I aint going to slag them off, they HAVE been absolutely great, but everything good must come to an end one day.
N/A

LoL Fair usage?

I would definitely not reccomend going with e7 broadband as above. They have a seemingly hideous record of customer service and reliability. Take a look at the ADSLGuide forums for E7's horrible record.

http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=unhappiness&Number=2217970&page=0&view=expan...

If you're looking for Unlimited Broadband I'd take a look at Zen for sure. They seem truly perfect apart from the price (£5 - £10 dearer than others - but you get what you pay for).

AOL's speed/service/reliability is rated low on Adslguide.org's Comparison.
Bulldog - same as above (and price rises after 6 months).
E7 is suffering the same problems as Plusnet it seems.
Wanadoo have usage limits.
Tiscali also.
NTL also.

Zen internet have absolutely consistent good reviews and seem, as I said, perfect. When it comes to the internet, do not be cheap. It's a worthwhile investment.
N/A

LoL Fair usage?

must admit, i've been with plusnet for years now, but I'm think about leaving.
Its not one just changing peak times from 4pm down to 8am, and then also lower the usage to 20GB.
pgudge
Grafter

LoL Fair usage?

mm, suppose everyone has their own different experiences. A friend moved his and all his referals to e7 broadband, he even moved his business custoemrs to e7 broadband too, which I thought was a risky move, but he is today still trying to convince me to move over.

He said he has only talked to CS once, and that was ok. So I suppose he's been lucky in your case.

i've been with plusnet for years now, but I'm think about leaving.
It sickens me that I have to leave. Like I b*tch and moan on most PN posts, I've been here since force9 days and feel the they are here today becuase of people like me paying for busniess accounts and sticking with them when they were down for whole weeks at a time. But I cannot pay £21.99 a month for a 256Kbps because i've gone over the limit.
Sakky
Dabbler

LoL Fair usage?

sakky, it may be the same - I just found out about it very recently because - suprise suprise - I wasn't sent any emails about the change. It's such a shame, I used to respect PlusNet so much, and now they've gone down the drain.

The restrictions are here (see the "Platinum...Gold...etc." section and below):
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/network/traffic_management.shtml

Ah thanks ... just taken a look, it seems that is more for Plus customers than Premier (what I am on now) ... having said that, that page of info is still a little confusing :? :roll: It kinda contradicts itself ... the 2nd table its about the new traffic managements, then the paragraph right under it states
Our Sustainable Usage Policy also applies to Broadband Premier accounts - find out more information on our dedicated SUP support page.
.. which is the 100gb off peak and 30gb on peak management ..... so which is it :?