Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux

jabb0
Grafter

Linux

Heya,

I got Ubuntu distro, a live CD version - and fired it up to see what would happen.

I was very impressed - i must say.

One problem though - my modem would not connect to the net.
I know only too well how tricky networking is from within windows - and i fear this could be a major stumbling block from within linux - however i REALLY hope not.

It says that the modem is not configured correclty.

Now i am assuming at this point that this is Driver related, as the OS doesnt seem to be talking to the modem very well.

I am using a PCI ADSL modem that PN sent to me when i signed up for broadband - and when i start windows you can hear it clicking happily away in the back ground till it gets a connection. This is not happening in Ubuntu. This is what would happen in windows if i had not installed the drivers..

Now i have read the FAQ on connecting using Linux - but i havent got that far yet - i need the modem to be working first.

And the section about installing the modem only refers to windows (i fear i will get this alot).

Can anyone shine some light on this?

I will pack up and move to linux Ubuntu tomorrow - if i can be sure i can get access to the net from there.
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Linux

Modem’s in Linux cause a lot of problems. As most are only officially supported in windows. So call Winmodems.

I would suggest dropping to PCI modem for a router. Much better easier to set up.

Chilly

“1By1 pengiunsSteal My Sanity”, If you try setting up the PCI modem the Penguins will be stealing you sanity, in platoons!
jabb0
Grafter

Linux

Point taken.

Was of the intention of buying a router soon even for win, as i have 3 compos in da house which are gettin pretty hungry for the net.

Looks like the move to linux is gonna force my hand - or my pocket - to shell out for one.

Now i know the router itsef should not be a problem from linux - however i wish to go wireless - in which case my compo will be fine cos i will have a direct cabled connection tot he router, however the other composare gonn want wireless cards, i can see a problem arising here.... or can i?
Is there anywhere i can check potential equpment against a list of wireless network cards which are supported?
Community Veteran

Linux

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/ would be a great place for finding out which wireless cards work.

In my case I gave up trying to get a wireless card to work with all the flavours of Linux I was trying and got a wireless bridge that converts a standard wired card to wireless. Even than I had problems finding a network card to work with Sun Solaris x86.

But you should be able to find a card that works with ubuntu

Chilly
N/A

Linux

Wired networking with ubuntu is very easy. As it has most drivers for Network cotrolers intergrated.
N/A

Linux

Jabbo, For wireless cards look for ndiswrapper or linuxant - both are driver wrappers which allow windows drivers to run - be careful though as not all windows wireless cards will work. (And if you've gone for the 64bit versions of Linux you'll find even fewer work)
jabb0
Grafter

Linux

i have joined the Ubuntu forums.

As i have not yet bought the hardware i am keeping a good lookout for those who are recomending hrdware which just works.

this is not going to kill me, or stop MS from taking my money - i am totally confident that i will be viewing this page from a Linux machine before long - even if i do have to jump a few hurdles.

So if you are using linux, and you have a wireless network i would be grateful if you could state you hardware :lol:

cheers
N/A

Linux

Linux Mandrake user here.....10.1 Power Pack

I have an ASUS K8VSE Deluxe Mobo which has a proprietary WLAN expansion slot.

Whenever I attempted to drop in the card under Winblows, it would take a huge amount of farting around with various settings to even get it to work with the WZC services.

Mandrake automatically installs the drivers for me and sets it up for access to my router. (incidentally I am using both wired and wireless to the router).

The next step in the logical move to Linux is to get a 64Bit install done on my box. At least there are drivers for the OS (unlike Bill's Behemoth Bollox OS)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad to see another person seeing the light on switching!!!!!!

Welcome to the Penguin Club!