cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux & Netgear DG834 router setup

N/A

I would like to set up my Netgear DG834 router to connect to the PlusNet broadband from a laptop using Linux Redhat 9.

If anyone can take me step by step through such a setup, it will be much appreciated.

I am a Linux Newbie, so please keep it as straightforward as possible (if possible using a GUI)

Many thanks Smiley
42 REPLIES
N/A

Have you configured your router? If so, I don't think there isn't really much more configuring you need to do.

I don't much about linux, but once my router was up, my linux box (in progress) was connected and I was able to use the browser with no issues.

Aaron
N/A

I suggest you download the latest version of red hat first (fedora core 2 at present) as red hat 9.0 is no longer supported and you cant get updates for it anymore I think.

Then its just simply a case of going through the red hat install program. Just select DHCP when doing your network configuration, and that will dish out the right IP, DNS servers etc etc.

The install program is very self explanatory but there are many steps too many to walk you thru, but like I said its fairly simple to install, and in many ways is actually easier to install than windows.
N/A

I have configured and am using the router in Windows, but when I tried to do it under Redhat 9 L inux on the same computer I have no success.

I tried setting it up according to a set of instructions that I found on the following url
www.geocities.com/imdeemvp/dsl.html

Obviously there is something I must be missing. I am able to access the Internet alright under Redhat using a dial up modem.
N/A

I suspect that you dont have the correct drivers for your network card. Red Hat 9.0 is seriously out of date now, as there have been 2 new versions since. Fedora core 2(new name for red hat) includes a 2.6 kernel which will more than likely have the correct drivers. I'd suggest finding the name of the ethernet controller and doing a google if using the latest fedora doesnt work. If you laptop is very new then you may have problems locating the correct drivers.
N/A

I have replaced Redhat with Fedora Core 2. The ethernet card is recognised and shows active in the Network Configuration Window.

I then tried to establish a connection following the steps as per the following guide:
www.geocities.com/imdeemvp/dsl.html

When I try to activate the connection there is nil response
Sad

My laptop is a Packard Bell igo 3451
www.fynu.ucl.ac.be/users/c.delaere/level2/igo/igo_tux.html
N/A

If you are connected via a router you dont need to follow those steps. Thats for ethernet modems by the looks of it.

Do an ifconfig eth0. what does that show?
N/A

I entered ifconfig eth0 in the Terminal
The result was:
bash: ifconfig: command not found
N/A

Try going to services and check the network deamon is running on startup (it should have tick in it). If it is then try restrating it. Also look in info centre for the card
N/A

Yes the network was already ticked under Services.
The Network Device is:
RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
Manufacturer: Realtek
Driver: 8139too
Device: /dev/eth0

I found that I had to log in as root "su -" to use ifconfig eth0

the result:-
eth0
Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:30:13:8A:17:B3
inet addr: 192.168.0.2 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::230:13ff:fe8a:17b3/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:9 errors:0 dropped:0 overuns:0 frame:0
TX packets:24 errors:0 dropped:0 overuns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:1835 (1.7 Kb) TX bytes: 2772 (2.7 Kb)
Interrupt:11 Base address : 0x9c00
N/A

Try going to network and giving a static ip address of 192.168.0.2
and subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and add plus net dns servers then restart the network from services. I don't think its geting a dhcp address the network Check by logging into the router going to lan ip to see if the dhcp is ticked.
N/A

I have given a static ip address of 192.168.0.2 and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

I have also entered a Gateway address.

I have entered the ISP assigned settings for the following
Primary DNS:
Secondaty DNS:
Tertiary DNS:

I am unable to log in to the router from Linux, I however logged in from Windows and checked that the dhcp is ticked under lan ip.

Restarted the Network from Services, but still no joy.
N/A

whats the ip address of the windows computer
Community Veteran

If you have DHCP enable on the router then you just need to set your NIC on Linux to obtain it's setup via DHCP (can't remember the exact setting as my Linux box is in bits at the moment).

Looking at the the ifconfig reported earlier the IP and other details have been assigned automatically so there was no need to manually setup a static IP or the other info like gateway and DNS.

Can you ping 192.168.0.1 ( which is your router) from a shell prompt?

If you put 192.168.0.1 in your browser address bar on Linux what happens?

Running nslookup www.plus.net will also tell you what DNS servers have been setup.
N/A

The pervious post was perfectly correct, however your Linux box not is getting a dhcp address, 192.168.0.255 is a broadcast address and I think it is trying to contact the dhcp server on the wrong subnet. If your windows ip address reads 192.168.1.x try shifting the static ip address on your Linux box to 192.168.1.100 and then logging in to the router.