cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux Mandrake-ADSL modem

N/A

I've just installed Linux Mandrake 9.2,(running along side windows) then found out it will not operate with my Binatone ADSL 500 broadband modem. Could anyone please inform me if there is a Linux o/p system that will work with my modem. Thanks..
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

I believe the only one that did was Redhat 7.2 because the was what the Linux drivers supplied with the product were written for. No other Linux drivers have been developed since then and I would not recommend using Redhat 7.2 now anyway as it is way too old.

USB modems are not recommended for Linux/Unix systems as very few are supported - the only ones I know are US based and even then only a handful work. You are better off investing in an external modem/router and connect it via Ethernet which will be compatible with all Linux/Unix versions and varients, both past, present and future.
N/A

my thanks for your help and time my friend, I will price up some modem/routers
N/A

Hi,

Drivers and an installation manual for the binatone 500 modem on linux can be also be found here.
N/A

i got linux drivers on my cd for tht modem, open the cd and just compile them from source.

I had it working on mandrake 9.1 no problems

wudnt compile on mandrake 10 though, dunno bout 9.2 - seems to need the 2.4 kernel

I binned tht modem, piece of c**p - using a usr router now Smiley - its gr8