cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linksys WAG54G settings

N/A

Linksys WAG54G settings

Can someone please let me know what the settings are to connect to Plus.net?

Thanks in advance.

Derek
17 REPLIES
N/A

Linksys WAG54G settings

Encapsulation POPPA

vc based

vpi 0

vci 38
Community Veteran

Linksys WAG54G settings

Thats PPoA, the rest are correct + your ADSL login & password.
N/A

Linksys WAG54G settings

Sorry for being ignorance. Are you quys saying that I don't need to input anything for those IP addres, subset mask,etc.,etc.

I suppose I should select 'Keep Alive' , right?
Community Veteran

Linksys WAG54G settings

They should all be set to server assigned or automatic or whetever linksys use to say let plusnet set them automatically when you connect.
holdtight
Grafter

Linksys WAG54G settings

Yes select keep alive and keep the default value!
N/A

Linksys WAG54G settings

Thanks for all your help. I have successfully set it up with my iMac (built in Airport card installed). As an extension of my earlier trouble, does anyone know why my reception keeps dropping? The signal bar goes from 4 to nil and back to 4 eratically. I am getting a reliable connection as a result, at most the Mac and the base is only 40 feet away.

Any idea what I should do to rectify this problem?

Please assist again.

Derek
holdtight
Grafter

Linksys WAG54G settings

40 ft is a fair distance and manufacturers always quote the
greatest reception distance they think they can safely get away
with,
what is in between your imac and router?
have you any thick walls or walls that may be enforced with steel
as whatever is in between can have a huge impact on performance
N/A

Linksys WAG54G settings

Imagine a L-shape, I put the Linksys at one end near the door in the dining room and through the hallway and I have my computer in the bedroom at the other end.

Just have a thought, does it mean either the base station or the Airport card is fault?

Sad
Community Veteran

Linksys WAG54G settings

It still depends on how many walls the signals have to travel through (the signals don't bounce of walls to go around corners). Look at the direct path between your iMac and the base station and work out how many walls it goes through. Brick walls have more effect than wooden/plasterboard walls.

What happens when you move closer to the base station? Does the signal stablise?

Also interference will also effect the signal. WiFi has a number of different channels you can use, try using a different channel to see if you find one that is better than the current one.
N/A

Linksys WAG54G settings

Now I understand. If the signal does not go round corner, then no wonder I am having problems. It has to travel through two brick walls(covered with plasterboards. All modern flats haev similar build structure).

I may have to put the base in the same room as my Mac but then what's the point of having it wireless?
Community Veteran

Linksys WAG54G settings

2 walls should be OK, as long as there is no ironworks or other metal within them. It's when you have 3 or 4 that tend to be the problem. Maybe each one is a double brick or brick/concrete or has ironwok within it.

Try a different channel and see if it gets any better.
holdtight
Grafter

Linksys WAG54G settings

At first thought neither bits of hardware is faulty but dont rule it out
go with what peter has suggested before anything else

and let us know what happens with the signal strength when
you move closer to the base and have less obstructions in
between
N/A

Linksys WAG54G settings

I will even try to put the base in the same room. I f I still get disconnection, I would be worried.

I logged onto Linksys firmware update page. There are two different patches, Annex A and B. Which one should I use?
N/A

Linksys WAG54G settings

Had to think about that one myself, had to read the text files for each, it would seem that the AnnexB is for the one with ISDN or summat like that.

Anyway, took a gamble, and used Annex A, working fine Smiley