cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linksys WAG354G Setup

N/A

Linksys WAG354G Setup

Hello,

I am in the process of changing my modem over from the old school dynamode's plus used to ship out (its about 4 years old) to a Linksys WAG354G. However doesnt seem to be able to connect.

Now this is where my confusion comes. My previous modem would connect through the 'wiptech' connect, i.e. like a dial up connection but now the i believe this is always on?

I am following the linksys software instructions on how to connect and using the plus.net router details but it doesnt seem to be recognising the line. (on the modem the DSL light keeps flashing on and off)... Has anyone else experienced problems with linksys setups? I presume this is something obvious that i am not doing.

Thanks
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Linksys WAG354G Setup

To setup you need to have the router linked via the supplied cable to the pc. Run the install cd before connecting.

You then setup the username and password etc.
I have the same router and it works a treat.

A
N/A

Linksys WAG354G Setup

thanks for the quick reply, however this is what i have done (i.e. through the ethernet cable)

What the issue i believe is, that the modem isn't recongising the ADSL connection (it wont stay lit) so the setup wont complete when it tests the line.

The connection i currently use as said is through an ATM connection (see below), do i have to unistall this first and the various connections with it?

Image here

Moderators note by James (sallyandjames) : Changed Image to a URL as it was stretching the page. Wink
Community Veteran

Linksys WAG354G Setup

your settings appear to be very far from correct.

I'll try and do some screen dumps later pm my with your e-mail address and I can mail them to you if you wish.

A
N/A

Linksys WAG354G Setup

You need to have the router plugged in and no other adsl device or it wont work. Remove all the other dial up adsl stuff as this is part of your problem.

You say the modem wont connect do you mean the router modem?

Having got rid of the other stuff reboot with the router on. if you have a cd then run that to install. If not open a cmd window start/run type cmd the do ipconfig /all you should see a list with a default gateway being one of them. Open up a browser with that ip. So if the default gateway is 10.0.0.2 type 10.0.0.2 into the browser. You may need to go to internet option connections and tick dont dial for it to work.

The router is showing the line up but not connected due to wrong password/username I guess.
Community Veteran

Linksys WAG354G Setup

you don't need the wip tech dial up for starters. also get rid of all thoes atm mentions ther're not needed.

logon via your broswer to 192.168.1.1 username and password are default as admin

The VPN Virtul circuit details are not 0,88 but 0 and 38 vpi is 0 vci is 38 the wrong settings here will mean that your roter is looking for the wrong dsl network 0 and 38 are the uk Virtual circuit details. Not sure if it the same foe llu you'd need to check.

below are my settings.

Encaspuslation is DFC 2364 PPPoa
Miltiplex VC
QOs UBR
Autodectect disable
VPI 0
VCI 38

usernname@plusdsl.net
password

local address 192.168.1.1
subnet 255.255.255.0
locah dchp enable

hit save and restart the router.

these settings should get you logged on.

hope it helps

A
Community Veteran

Linksys WAG354G Setup

have you managed to get your router working yet?

a
N/A

Linksys WAG354G Setup

Thanks for the advice guys.

I did manage to get it working, but it has now become faulty... Linksys have rma'd it.
Community Veteran

Linksys WAG354G Setup

in what way is it faulty?

A
N/A

Linksys WAG354G Setup

Reviving an old post because I seem to have the exact same issue.

The only thing is, my settings are all set up exactly as you described (and exactly as stated from plusnet's connection settings)

As this is the second new modem/router in as many weeks that seems to be set up right, but is failing to get an adsl connection I'm beginning to wonder if the signal on my line is weak, and for some reason, these newer routers have worse reception capabilities than my (now almost 4 year old) basic router that came with my +net account.

Anyone had a similar problem? Or is there some other incredibly obscure setting that I might be missing somewhere?
Community Veteran

Linksys WAG354G Setup

excuse the daft question but do you have the filters on the line?

Did you connect the router to your pc and set it up using a cabled connection.

What problmes are you having and what operatins system are you using, xp, vista, me, 98 etc.

A
N/A

Linksys WAG354G Setup

Do you still have the other router on the line? Can only have one modem on the line at any time.
N/A

Linksys WAG354G Setup

Each question in turn:

Filter = check Smiley

When I was setting up the new router it was entirely isolated (ie, PC's connected to it, and it direct to the socket, nothing else involved... well... except the filter of course)

It was also being set up with a physical cabled connection (for the record, the wireless receiver appears to work just fine as well, but for the initial attempt(s) the setup was all done via wired ethernet connection.

OS-wise I have a small selection. Win XP pro (on two seperate computers) and OSX with a Mac. All of them can interface with the router just fine, all of them can communicate VIA the router just fine (ie, using it as a hub) and the wireless connection works just fine.
Settings on the router can be altered/set saved with any of the above computers. Adjusting the router isn't the issue, quite simply it never actually makes the connection (though it tries very hard... bless it's little cotton diodes)

The assumption I'm coming to is that the signal on the line is too weak to be picked up (either that or I have some very obscure setting wrong somewhere...) but if that really were the case, I'd think I should have suffered a dodgy connection for ages, but generally speaking, it's been fine...

So... any help and suggestions gladly appreciated Smiley
Community Veteran

Linksys WAG354G Setup

here are my settings for you to check against.

encapsulation ppoa
multiplex vc
qos ubr
autodetect disable
vip 0
vci 38
dsl modulation multimode
username username@plusdsl.net
password *******

mto manuel
size 1422

ip address 192.168.1.1
subnet 255.255.255.0

local dhcp enabled
starting address 192.168.1.1
max number 191

what firmware version are you using

I have 1.01.11

Check the following go to status pages right hand side of router menu.
What are the figures under the gateway tab
What are the figures on the dsl connection tab

if you have figures on these tabs then wyour connected. Have you checked your firewall hasn't stopped all connections.

A
N/A

Linksys WAG354G Setup

A flashing light shows there is adsl on the line but its not logged in so either you havent entered the right username/password or you have plugged it into the wrong bit of the filter.

Forget the filter and plug the router directly into the bt line as the router doesnt need a filter. Make sure that its not on an extension were the extension is plugged into a filter. If you plug a modem/router into a filters phone socket it will kill adsl.

try this page from your pc and see what you get its a hidden secret page
http://192.168.1.1/ADSLCStatus.htm