cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linking my own webserver to my domain name

N/A

Hi all,

I have successfully setup a email server to pick up my mail, but I am now interested in setting up a webserver to point to my domain name that I host with Plusnet. I have found the webpage on plusnet to configure the dns records but have no idea what to enter.

Can anyone give me some pointers on how to setup the dns so that the domain name points to my webserver box. I am using a static IP.

Many thanks

Scott
5 REPLIES
N/A

I'm assuming you have a single static IP from plusnet, and a 4 (or more) port router as your connection hardware.

What you need to do is to set the dns records for your domain to point to your static IP. You then need to set up port forwarding on your router, so requests on port 80 are forwarded to the webserver machine's ip address (on your internal network).

Exactly how you do this depends on the router etc...

K
N/A

Hi

thanks for the reply. I have set the router up to accept the ports for web hosting, but just need to know how to setup the dns records. If my ip was eg 123.456.7.8 and my domain name was www.domain.com how would i set this up in the DNS records?

Would it be

123.456.7.8 A ? domain.com

Cheers

Scott
N/A

Make sure the DNS record setting is set to "Other" instead of "Htdocs", and then add the following records :

www | A | (blank) | your-ip

and

yourdomain.com. | A | (blank) | your-ip

(Notice the trailling dot after yourdomain.com).
N/A

thanks eurotrain4 i will give it a go.
N/A

Try this:

http://www.nryonline.co.uk/images/myDomainSettings.jpg

For getting your domain to point to your IP, you only need to set the top line of the section in the picture labelled 'Additional DNS Records (Advanced)'. I've blanked out most of my IP for security reasons.....

Hope this helps,

Regards,

nry