cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line upgrades (1MB to 2MB) questions..

N/A

I live in a run down part of Manchester where even glass windows are a rarity nevermind 2MB broadband so.. I have a dilemma and it is that:

I am paying for 2MB Broadband but due to (I guess) BT Engineers "phearing" 'The Mancunian Hoodie Possie' they cannot upgrade my line or something.. Dont get me wrong, I am not complaining - I am happy with my 1MB but....

I am wondering if there is a list of "soon to be upgraded lines/exchanges" (or whatever it is that I require, apart from moving to a more secure area) website or telephone number or something where I can find out a possible date for upgrades?

Now I understand that this knowledge may not be given freely to random Mancunians incase we plan an attack on the BT Engineers but.. If you could PM me with the details for safety reasons I promise not to disclose any information about you to the Possie or to BT :lol:

I am also willing to pay for such knowledge, please see my eBay shop for possible 'trades'...
7 REPLIES
N/A

Why not try THIS EXCHANGE CHECKER.
You can run post codes, phone numbers or even the exchange code against it to see if it has been given a date yet.

Please forgive me if I have not understood your request completely but im typing under the influence of sleepiness.

Regards,
N/A

Thanks Tom.

This is the info I got back:

Results: Whitefield

Code: MRWHI
County: Manchester - Greater
Enabled: 10 Dec 1999
Upgrade Status
BT are planning on enabling this exchange for Max DSL products.
Currently, they have given an estimated date of 31/03/06 for this.
Please note: This is the default date from BT and may change

BT are in the process of upgrading the majority of telephone exchanges around the UK to support speeds of up to 8Mbit/s.

The status given here is an estimate given by BT on 01/02/06.

Many of the exchanges are red and amber at the moment due to the fact that until the main roll out is well commenced BT will not finalise the dates as they want to ensure that any unforseen issues will not affect dates. We will publish the updated info when and as we get it. The roll out is still fully commited too, as previously commented upon, and the info will be with you as soon as possible.

Please note: This checker is not a generic fault tracker. Updates are made as often and as quickly as information becomes available. We display only the information available in the public domain and can't account for it's accurancy.

Now if I have understood my current line correctly i have too much noise or signal loss too get 2MB. If the exchange is upgraded to Max DSL will that possibly allow me to utilise the 2MB?

Also: "BT are in the process of upgrading the majority of telephone exchanges around the UK to support speeds of up to 8Mbit/s.

The status given here is an estimate given by BT on 01/02/06."

Is 8mbit similar to Max DSL or have I got my wires crossed, sorry for the pun Smiley
N/A

MaxDSL and 8Mbit are the same thing, but you need to remeber that only a proportion of people will ever get 8Mbit. Depending on line quality and distance from exchange it will fall back to the maximum perfomance that can be supported. This will probably be better than the 1Mbit you are currently getting but certainly will be no worse.
N/A

The status given here is an estimate given by BT on 01/02/06."

Your exchange is due to be upgraded on the 31st March 2006 and is still subject to major change.

In short, although it says 31/3/2006 dont get your hopes up. BT dont know this for sure and ( IMO ) have plucked a number out of thin air.

http://212.23.23.177/calc.htm

To see what you roughly should be able to get once MAXDSSL comes to your area the use the link above and enter the values in the boxes as instructed. I need to mention though it is only there to estimate its not support by BT nor is it 100% accurate. It simply estimates what you should be able to obtain come MAXDSL to your area given the details you have provided.

Regards,
N/A

Thanks again Tom

Here are my details:

DSL Status
Connection Status Connected
Upstream Rate (Kbps) 288
Downstream Rate (Kbps) 1152
US Margin 25
DS Margin 21
Modulation MMODE
LOS Errors 0
DS Line Attenuation 51
US Line Attenuation 61
Path Mode Fast Path

Am I right in thinking the Attenuation that I put in is 51, the Speed is 1152 and the SNR is 21?

If that is the case then I got this information back:

A crude estimate of what your line is capable of is 4142kbps (kilo bits per second).

I guess that it would be very unlikely that we wont be able to get 2MB when the exchange is updated right? I mean the estimated speed is almost twice as much as what we need for 2MB by looks of it...

If I am doing something wrong or if I am right please tell me, as I am not sure lol :lol:

Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

You appear to be doing it right but I am puzzled by your upstream figures. The upstream attenuation seems to be far too high. These are my figures from a woosh test
Upstream xDSL Link Info
Loop Loss 23.5 dB
Margin 25 dB
Errored Seconds 0
HEC Errors 0
Cell Count 921
Speed 288 k

Downstream xDSL Link Info
Loop Loss 52 dB
Margin 23 dB
Errored Seconds 4
HEC Errors 0
Cell Count 270
Speed 1152 k
N/A

I have no idea what that means or what it would mean hehe, sorry.

As far as I know its been like that for a while now.