Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line upgraded but losing Sync

glynh
Dabbler

Hi all,

BT finally got round to upgrading my line to 2Mb on Friday. However, sice then I have had problems with the connection dropping when I am gaming online, well perhaps not dropping, more the sync is being lost. Here's the background stuff:

THursday night (@ 512Kb)I played online with no issues/conection problems.

Friday night (@ 2Mb) played online for about two hours between 11pm and 1am. The connection was lost around three times. Although I think the sync was being lost as the modem ADSL light stayed green and there seemed to be activity in the system tray connection icons, but I could not reconnect my gaming session. Eventually the system tray icons vanished and the modem ADSL light started flashing (re syncing). Once it had resync'd I could reconnect and continue playing online. There seemed to be no set time scale between each incident.

Last NIght - played at about the same time and the same thing happend again, only I had to select to disconnect from the internet, afterwhich the modem would start to resync. I could play again normally until the next time it occurred. Again, like Friday Night these occurred at random times, although I would be inlined to say they started around 12ish onwards.

When I am d/l or just surfing I have no problems, just seems when I am playing online games, although when I have left the comp connected for the evening and returned, it has disconnected at some stage, during no internet use.

I have an Alcatel Speedtouch USB modem, using the splitter that came with the modem.

I am wondering if my line may not support 2Mb. BEfore I raise a ticket, does anyone have any suggestions I could try? I,m gonna try a different filter for a start.

Cheers
6 REPLIES
FillDee
Grafter

I had the same problem. OK @ 512, but like a yo yo at 1MB. Found out that the problem was the internal phone wiring in the house. When everything but the main socket was disconnected, it stayed up and remained rock solid. I remade all the connections, upgraded the router firmware and since then it's been fine.

Got a different problem now, but that's nowt to do with this issue.

Don't know if that helps, but it might be worth a try to plug the modem in the main socket with no extensions. Crappy cable can cause havoc.

Phil
vic_newey
Grafter

& don't forget to alter the ingame connection speed setting ,might improve things altho setting to a lower speed than you actually have is said to be more stable having said that
glynh
Dabbler

Cheers Guys,

Well I moved the PC downstairs next to the master socket yesterday evening and plugged it in to the socket inside the box. I played online around 7ish for half an hour with no probs at all. I left it from about 8ish until 10:30 idling (connected but not surfing or anything). When I returned to it it had disconnected. I played online for a couple of hours and had NO problems in game. I then went on ICQ though Trillian and after 10-15 mins it disconnected again. Went to bed after this LOL.

Anyway, it would seem that, as you have suggested phildalton, that my internal wiring must be the problem. I hardwired an extension into the master socket, ran it under the floor boards to another junction box and then upstairs to a junction box in the room the pc is in. I must admit the cable was some old stuff so it could be that. I may try getting an entire length of cable and missing the junction box out.

The only other thing I could do is to move the master socket upstairs, which I think BT would have to do?? Or I could buy a router, and either use a CAT5 cable (a long one I know) and route it upstairs or use wireless. OR regrade the line back to 1Mb and see how it goes, though I don't really want to do this.

What would gaming over a wireless network be like? Does anyone use it this way? Does it suffer any lag.

On another note, I used Dr SPeedtouch and got a recieve attenuation of 52bB which is above the limit for 2Mb, but I don't really trust this figure. Anyway, I've asked Plusnet to do a wHoosh on the line so I'll see what that gives. The other thing is though that I'm only about 1km from the exchange. I know that the actual route may be longer but I am surprised at the high attenuation. But on the other hand I read somewhere that it is the SNR that is more of a factor. My Send attenuation is 26dB.

Vicnewwey - I looked to try to change the game settings but the options are very llmited, mind you I will try the thing about setting it to a lower connection speed to see if that helps with my gaming generally. Smiley

Cheers
FillDee
Grafter

smudgpop,

I don't play games online, but depending on the speed you can get wireless up to ,but a good 54Mbs or even better, a 108Mbs setup, is going to be much faster than the 2Mbs broadband connection, so that shouldn't (in my mind) affect anything. The slowest link will be the ADSL not the wireless link in the house.

Not a cheap solution, but it may be a good answer.

Good luck

Phil
karmi
Grafter

Uhh, gaming on a wireless network is fine as my router is upstairs, and my laptop and other computer are downstairs (2 floors down, thick walls/ceilings) and the laptop will ping at 20-25ms and thats from Scotland to an English server (Redbus or whatever) so nope, maybe see a 2ms increase in ping over wireless but all round its just fine. I reccomend the Plusnet wireless router kits, I got the laptop+desktop one ordered yesterday and recieved it first thing today and works a treat.

With the losing sync, well I had that problem twice yesterday whilst gaming and since swopping to the PN Laptop+desktop kit (BT Voyager 2100) ive not had it once I just had it with my USB Voyager 105 got something about a PPP control link being terminated till I put the cable in and out the back of the modem :lol: Tongue But yeah, ill let you compare your results to mine which is running lovely at the moment at about 2000k or so.

Line mode G.dmt Line state Show Time
Latency Type Fast Line Up Time 00:21:03:41
Line Coding Trellis On Line Up Count 1

Statistics Downstream Upstream
Line Rate 2272 Kbps 288 Kbps
Noise Margin 30.4 dB 30.0 dB
Line Attenuation 9.0 dB 5.0 dB
Output Power 13.7 dBm 11.4 dBm

Hope it helps Shockedops:
glynh
Dabbler

Cheers phildalton and jafkd,

I'll look in to the router side of things.

got something about a PPP control link being terminated till I put the cable in and out the back of the modem

Yep, same thing here, except that I've only had to disconnect the modem once and that was last night Smiley , before it would reconnect. V strange.

I moved the pc back upstairs last night and it disconnected only twice - once while idling and the other in-game. The difference was that I did not pass the phone line through my mains surge protector, I just connected the microfilter straight to the socket. Seems to have reduced the issue slightly. Smiley