cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line support

N/A

Line support

I have been told that i will soon be getting the free 2mb upgrade, or the nearest to what my line can support. How do i find out what my line can support?
10 REPLIES
N/A

BT Exchange Info Ivan

Hi,

Probably one of the best ways to find out what your local BT exchange will currently support in terms of type & speed of service is to check with the x2 following websites. Both will require you to give either or postcode or your phone number before the information required comes up.

1) http://www.samknows.com/broadband/index.php (this should tell you which types of service your exchange either has or will get in the near future)

2) http://users.plus.net/ (will tell you about your exchange and its condition)

Hope this helps, Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum, Make Your Voice Count!
michaelscott
Grafter

Line support

If you have noise and attenuation figures available, post them up here and somebody will probably be able to give you an idea of what your line can take.
N/A

Line support

Connection Status Connected
Upstream Rate (Kbps) 288
Downstream Rate (Kbps) 576
US Margin 10
DS Margin 27
Modulation GDMT
LOS Errors 0
DS Line Attenuation 47
US Line Attenuation 63
Path Mode Fast Path

DSL Statistics
Near End F4 Loop Back Count 0
Near End F5 Loop Back Count 0
N/A

Line support

This is the results from the http://www.samknows.com/broadband/index.php web site, but as you can see it has a compatibiity issue.
BT ADSL broadband availability
You are connected to the Castle Bromwich (CMCAS) telephone exchange.

Your exchange is enabled for ADSL!
There is capacity at your exchange for further ADSL connections.

The following level of service is available at your location:

You cannot receive 2Mbps ADSL
You may be able to receive 1Mbps ADSL
You can receive 512Kbps ADSL
You can receive 256Kbps ADSL

However, there appears to a compatibility issue with your phone line. This could be caused by an existing broadband connection, ISDN, a DACS unit, TPON, a pending ADSL order or many other common issues. This will need to be resolved before ADSL can be supplied to your line.

Your BT ADSL code is: AGEC
craigbrass
Grafter

Line support

No, it actually does not. This just means you already have broadband on your line.
vic_newey
Grafter

Line support

downstream attenuation has to be 43 or lower for 2 meg & yours is 47, I got turned down for 2 meg with 49.
Your noise margins appear unusual in that the downstream is better ( higher ) than upstream as its usually the other way round

Limits will hopefully be moved in near future
N/A

Line support

Is there any way that i can adjust the downstream attenuation?
craigbrass
Grafter

Line support

Not really, maybe try it in the master socket.
vic_newey
Grafter

Line support

Not really, maybe try it in the master socket.

Might get a slightly better SNR but thats not his problem. The attenuation or loss is the reduction of the signal due to the length of your line from the exchange & there is little if anything to improve this unfortunately
craigbrass
Grafter

Line support

Somtimes putting it in the master socket makes a very slight differance tho, hence suggesting it.

You can move nearer the exchange btw. I am sure you can buy a tent and perch yourself right outside the exchange and get the perfect connection Cool