cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line quality problem low SNR .....

N/A

i was connected for ADSL around 2 weeks ago, since then my SNR value has fluctuated alot it ranges from 3.5 - 12.

Basically when my SNR is from 5.5 - 12 the service is perfect no disconnections or slow speeds its flawless. However sometimes it drops to around 3.5 - 5 sometimes for long periods other times for only a few minuites. However this is a major inconvienience because when my SNR drops my connection becomes basically unusable.

If i was to report this would my ADSL be cancelled or would BT most likely try and fix the problem ? Also if it were to be cancelled would i get a full refund for my connection cost and the first months usage ?

And the third and final question is basically we have 2 x 64k ISDN lines which we have used for the past 4 years. And our normal telephone line which we have just got 2 mbit ADSL on. The normal phoneline has only ever been capable of 22 - 28 kbs due to crap line quality. However when the ISDN was installed years ago bt did *ALOT* of work on our road making the other phoneline suitable for ISDN. and when i connect through a 56k modem on my isdn line i get 44-48 kbs. So i presume this is because the line quality is much better due to all the work done.

Basically, would it be worth getting a managed conversion on my ISDN line because i simply know that the line quality is good due to my decent 56k speeds and the work done. This should hopefully solve the SNR problem...

The only reason i kept the ISDN lines is to use incase of any problems came up and some seem to have too...

So basically i need some advice here on all the above Smiley
4 REPLIES
N/A

also if my SNR is crap with 2 mbit my connections gonna be no better with 512 or 1 mbit is it ? because its not like line attenuation
N/A

IIRC, SNR can and will change, with slower data rates.

If you have oonly been activated two weeks ago, BT can and will terminate the ADSL on the line.

However, teh fault can be submited as an early life failure, meaning that it is treated as if it was never suitable for DSL, thus provisioning and rental is refunded.

If may well be worth submitting a fault, as BT can and will attempt to bring the line into service, or downgrade it, where the end user agrees.
N/A

worth going for a conversion on the ISDN ?
N/A

Possibly. However, i would go down the route of asking for a fault to be raised first.

As noted, it will either be fixed, or killed off as an early life failure (with you money returned).

If you get ISDN converted, you could be in the same position with that, at which point, you may not get the first one terminated on early life failure grounds, loosing out.

At least if you do raise a fault, you know where you stand.