cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line noise too loud, BUT?

pgudge
Grafter

Hello there, I asked for the test on my line to see if I could get the 1mb or 2mb service, however they told me my line noise was too high for the service.

However Last week I ventured in to my loft to find a cable, a >30 metre cable that was inbetween my main line and ADSL modem.

Could this have caused any interferance in the test, or is the test to the exchange and not my house?

Thanks

Paul
10 REPLIES
N/A

Devices and cabling, from the master socket inwards can cause faulures.

However, this is more true with devices.

The best thing you can do, is unplug all phones, and leave only one phone in the master socket. If needed, unscrew the face, and use the inner socket. This will isolate all extentions (if your houshold is wired normaly).

To my understanding, tests are usualy carried out during the day, but from information I have been given, line tests can also be schedualed at night time (using batch jobs).

As such, if and when you line passes, you should then be able to work out what cabling is affecting the service (if at all).
N/A

Your advice to unscrew the faceplate off of the master socket is wrong.
It is against the phone comany rules(BT or who ever)
The customers connection is from the front,not from behind the faceplate.
A master socket is the one installed by the phone company.
Unplug all other sockets from the master,and plug in the modem(if the master is near the pc)
KB(phone company engineer)
Community Veteran

Yes you can unscrew the faceplate. BT's monopoly side of things is from the test socket onwards (the socket on the inside of the face plate). Several BT wiring diagrams and even BT staff recommend wiring from the inside for your internal socket.

Chris
N/A

You will find you are wrong.

BT Provide the NTE5 master faceplate like this, so customers can legaly install extentions on the own accord.

These go into the krone block, on the rear of the faceplate.

You will find that almost all ISPs, and even BT recomend testing into this inner socket, to prove that a fault is within the BT network, and not your own cabling.

According to the BT T&C's, you can't touch anything behind this plate (with exception of the inner socket). This makes installing extentions pointless, as you need to unscrew the backbox, to access to properly feed the extention cable.
pgudge
Grafter

I see I have sparked an indepth conversation beyond my knowledge here.

On the last test was this setup:

From outside to the first box, which then had the ADSL box screwed into it, then from this to a very very long extansion cable, to a makeshift slave box downstairs and then the ADSL modem cable pluged into this and then to the modem.

Now I have done this:

From outside to the master box, with the ADSL box straight into the router, the cable is about 5 minutes long max

All I want to know is would this give a better reading on the Whoosh Test if I was to have it again?
Community Veteran

As long as the 'slave' box that you mention isn't the main master socket yes you can change / remove any cables.
The basics of it are any cables between the local distubution pole and master socket belong to BT and you can not touch them. Any cables after the master socket, to phones, modems, extention boxes etc belong to you and you can change / modify them.

If you are using a 30m cable for something where only 5m is needed then provided the cable is yours yes you can change it and it might help.

Chris
pgudge
Grafter

Everything in that house is mine Smiley whether BT think so or not.

I just want to know if it's worth asking for the Whoosh test again now that I have cleaned up the cables, the router is less than 5m (cable length) from the main box now, whereas before it was >30.

Thanks for all replies.
Community Veteran

Yes, it's always worth a try, make sure any unnecessary equipment is unplugged first as illustrated by Philip above.

Chris
pgudge
Grafter

All I have connected is

ADSL Modem
1 Telephone
TiVo

Should I disconnect both the phone and Tivo when I ask for the test, or should these be okay, The phone is never used, and the Tivo only dials up once a night.
N/A

Tivo will survive a week without updates (before you start to lose some of the advanced ahead listings). Just keep an eye on the Todo list, to make sure any changes are accounted for (they recon around 15 changes to TV scheduals are made each week, covering most channels (sky, cable, freeview), so don't be too worried).

Your ADSL modem can cause issues, and there is no need for it to be connected anyhow. Remember, while you line may become active, +net do not activate you login, until BT have confirmed it complete to them.

So yes, you should only have you phone plugged in.