Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line lose for 1 Meg service

the_norris
Grafter

Hi

Just checked in the BT ADSL checker thingy, and it now report that I can get ADSL upto 2meg.

Up until a few months ago when I checker - was thinking about upgrade to 1meg from 512k - The BT checker said I could only get 512k due to line distance.

At the time i got whoosh test done due to that my router report line lose of 47. Whoosh test confirmed this as correct - need 45 to get 1meg.

Now the BT check has changed is there some thing new going on with line lose to 1meg?

Phil
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

No, the limits are still the same.

Note: the BT checker is just a guide and does not mean you can get what it says. I suspect BT's database is not correct and it thinks your line is closer to the exchange than it is, or you have a particularly bad line.

You could ask PlusNet to perform a new Woosh test just to make sure but I suspect it will be the same.
the_norris
Grafter

ok.

Have has whoosh test done - too far from exchange. The strange think is way the change on the BT checker.

For about 2 years it did say I could only get 512kb due to line lenght. As my router reported 47 db - may be border line - may be the router reporting in correct. So IU had a whoosh test one - but it confirms my router is correct with the whoosh test reporting 47db. 45db is need for 1Meg. So the BT check was correct.

But in the last 2-3 month is had changed to say I can get 2meg. SO I thourgh either BT have mushed there Database or there ad been a change,

Did read some where in the forum that the 1Meg service was under review for incresing the limit?

Phil
N/A

1Mb is not under review, but may well become so in the next 3 months.

BT perform maintainance and testing on phone lines accross the estate, as part of the upkeeping of the network. It is usualy through these tests, that the database is updated.

It may well be, that at the time of the check, you line was within limits. However, to fluctuate enough to go between in and out of limits, is enough to say service may vary at best.