cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line length limits on 512 + conections!

N/A

Any idears what they are, or is it exchange dependent?
9 REPLIES
N/A

Hi,

BT used to have lines length limits for 512k connection, but now BT are more inclined to try and see if a line can support it. How far is your house/office from the exchange.
N/A

The road distance cant be more than 2 and a half 3 miles. I expect the phone lines are along the same length.,
N/A

I expect the phone lines are along the same length.,

It really depends on whether that would be 2-3 miles in a straight line and you never can tell with phone wiring.

Have you tried any exchange checkers, to see whether you line can support Broadband
N/A

The bt checker says 512, and an engeneer may need to do something to make it faster. However as with 512 it depends on line noise, am i right? Rather than actural length. Is there any way to get them to do a more deatailed check?

I know the exchange can surpot 2 meg. As some people who i know on the same exchange have it. The question is can i get it? Or will i be able to without moving house?
N/A

You can raise a ticket with PN and ask them to perform a woosh test on your line, that will tell your signal to noise ratios, attn etc. From that it's possible to determine what sort of speed your line is likely to support.
N/A

Ok, ill look into it further.
Community Veteran

Hi,

I have a query very much related to this so apologies if this is seen as inappropriate.

Today my line is ADSL enabled, but I have no idea what attentuation/noise values that BT measured on my line. I would really like to know this before buying an ADSL modem. I have raised a ticket asking PN know this information. Is it likely they will?

Scott.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

godsell4,

Did you ask for a Woosh test to be performed on your line?

This will tell your snr, att etc values
Community Veteran

A woosh test does not show SNR, only line attenuation.