cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line attenuation, SNR and speed.

N/A

I posted this in the customer feedback forum which was probably the wrong place but I have a question about whether or not my line will go up to 2mb.

I haverecently installed a new D-Link 604T router to set up a wireless network and it works fine. The staysu page gives me the folllowing.

A downstream SNR of 23db and line attenuation of 48db.

The data rate downstream is 1152 kbs. Does that mean the line is on 1mb o rmore?

If so do I need to contact Plus Net to get a higher speed actually working?

The speed test shows 560kbs average with is higher than "broadband 500" but quite a lot less than "broadband 1000". It is higher than the 480 kbs I used to get when I first signed up when using my old Origo router.

Interestingly when I changed the splitter from a cheap e-buyer one to the splitter that came with the D-Link the SNR improved from 14 to 23 but the attenuation remained the same.

The upstream figures are 30 db SNR but an even worse attenuation of 56 db (and a data rate of 28Cool.

The router is plugged into a socket in the study which is NOT the BT master socket. Would plugging into the master socket be likely to improve any of these figures?

I was also wondering if it was trying the Origo again to see if it got better figures, that is do different routers perform differently as regards what they can extract from the line in terms of performance?

Dave
3 REPLIES
N/A

I have a D-Link DSL-604+ and when the engineer came to mess with my line yesterday, he found that plugging in his modem, one of those old green frog-like things, he got an attenuation of 48dB of a WOOSH test. When my D-Link is connected, he got an attenuation of 54dB. So I guess the kit you are using can make a difference.

Incidentally, we also connected up an Origo 4-port and got an attenuation of 54dB on the WOOSH (same as the D-Link)
N/A

I have a D-Link DSL-604+ and when the engineer came to mess with my line yesterday, he found that plugging in his modem, one of those old green frog-like things, he got an attenuation of 48dB of a WOOSH test. When my D-Link is connected, he got an attenuation of 54dB. So I guess the kit you are using can make a difference.

Incidentally, we also connected up an Origo 4-port and got an attenuation of 54dB on the WOOSH (same as the D-Link)

So I take it you can't get the full 2 meg speed as I read that attenuation must be 43 db or less??

Dave
N/A

I am on 2 meg.... don't ask me how though, I dont know. It works pretty well since yesterday when the engineer visited, the speed varies quite a lot though, on both the BT Speedtester and PN's speedtester. The engineer was envious because he had better line stats than me and BT wouldn't let him have 2 meg. Whether the line is acceptable seems to be related more to which way the wind is blowing and if the moon is blue than to line stats.