cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line Stats. Some advice needed.

N/A

I am currently stuck with a 1meg connection which is due my downstream line attenuation of 48db. However, upstream is 13.5db. Scouring various forums, downsteam and upstream figures seem to be much closer than this. Noise margin is downstream 18 upstream 25.
Is it possible that I have a line problem rather than distance from the exchange?
2 REPLIES
Midville
Grafter

I am by no means an expert, internal wiring may not be helping - age and condition of your line and how its routed back to the exchange (straight line distance compared with around the houses), can all lead to degradation.
Community Veteran

Downstream and upstream line stats can vary just like downstream can vary between connections. Just because yours does not appear to be the same as what others have stated does no mean you have a line problem, just that your line quality differs to others.

There are many factors that determin your line stats:

• Length of the line to the exchange has the most effect
  • The physical quality of the line used (i.e. how corroded it is, how old it is)
  • How good the connections are in the roadside green boxes or at the junction box at the top of the phone poll
  • What if any interference exists between you and the exchange (steet lamps can cause problems).

Within the home things like:

• Not having an ADSL filter on every phone
  • Interference from christmas lights, electric motors etc
  • Bad internal wiring, although to a much lesser extent than the outside influences.