cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line Profile Drop

N/A

Line Profile Drop

Hi all

I was experimenting with SNR on my Neatgear router. My SNR. was 7.9db I increased to 10db and the line dropped from 7000Kbps to 4000Kbps. Went to original SNR and ran BT Speed test, this reported line at 4000Kbps. This was aprox’ 5 days ago, and it still reads 4000Kbps. I know that 8meg Broadband is adaptive but surely it should have increased by now. Shouldn’t have fiddled with it in the first place. Is their any way of getting BT to increase it back to 7000Kbps?
15 REPLIES
N/A

Line Profile Drop

Assuming your SNR stays as is and your line syncs at 7000kbps for a period of 3 days, BT should increase your line profile back to 7000kbps.

Please try rebooting your router once or twice a day (no more though otherwise BT will think your connection keeps dropping and further lower your speeds) and hopefully you should see your speeds return within a few days.
N/A

Line Profile Drop

Ok. Much appreciated.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

Line Profile Drop

The table at the bottom of this page should give you an idea of the profile speed you can expect in comparison to your sync speed.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

Line Profile Drop

That's good. My sync speed is 8096Kbps lets hope my throughput speed regulates back to 7000Kbps soon.
chrisc
Grafter

Line Profile Drop

Please let us know if you have any further problems or questions and we can investigate further for you.
N/A

Line Profile Drop

You said it!! Cheers.
Alphakk1
Grafter

Line Profile Drop

Thats good synch you got their Sandancer how close are you to your exchange.
N/A

Line Profile Drop

Aprox. 1.7 miles. I used www.samknows.com Typed tel: no. got my exchange and post code, then used Google maps and found distance from home to exchange. (as the crow flies)
Alphakk1
Grafter

Line Profile Drop

Thanks for the link I live 1.8 miles from my exchange though not sure how long it is via wirring. Only sybch @ 7.6 you must have good wiring.
N/A

Stuck bRAS profile.

Hi plusnet

Though I am still syncing at 8096Kbps my throughput is still 4000Kbps, after 10 days of complying to your advice. Is it possible that my bRAS profile is stuck. Could you possibly contact BTw. and request a reset on my IP profile...Cheers.
N/A

Line Profile Drop

This isn't an official support channel, try raising a ticket here as you'll get a faster response that way out of office hours.
N/A

Line Profile Drop

Thanks for the advice. Since its been well over 10 days and my throughput is still 4000Kbps. I'm wondering if my Netgear DG834GT router is generating noise. So, I have reverted back to my Safecom router and will bench test.

Love ADSL adaptive technology :roll:
N/A

Line Profile Drop

Yesterday my throughput speed was still 4000Kbps. So since I believe my bRAS profile was caused by increasing my SNR, I thought I had nothing to lose by reversing or decreasing my SNR. I used http://dg834gt.mognuts.com/NetgearRouterUtility.html and set the noise margin back to 6db. Checked my router status and found my sync speed had dropped to 7586Kbps but my SNR increased to 12db. Hard reset my router and would you believe it. My sync speed went back to 8096Kbps my SNR dropped to 8db and my throughput increased from 4000Kbps to 6000Kbps immediately.

How on earth is that possible? Did I kick start my bRAS profile; was it actually stuck after I inadvertently changed my SNR?

I obviously didn’t realise how powerful that utility was, since my bras profile stuck at 4000Kbps for two weeks. In fact the opposite of what I thought had happened; increased SNR decreased throughput, decreased SNR increased throughput. Sure is interesting. I’m happy with the BT Speed Test of 6000Kbps (Plusnet 6500Kbps)
:lol: :lol:
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Line Profile Drop

Sync speed and SNR are generally inversely proportional, that being if you increase the target SNR the speed decreases, decrease the target SNR and the speed will increase.

The tricky thing in some cases is to balance the speed against stability as the lower the SNR it means that the "noise" can be higher and noise spikes can cause disconnections.

So the change you've seen in sync speed is probably what I would expect and the hard reset of the router may have been required for the change you made to take effect. May be the same with the IP profile, I've never been 100% certain whether increases takes effect immediately or only after a resync. If it's only after a resync then that would also explain why it went up at the same time.

Of course it could have been stuck and the resync triggered an update, we'll probably never know.