cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line Noise --> Line Speed ... Explanation Please

hillfort
Dabbler

I am on a Prem Plus package with a line speed of 1Mb. Yes 1MB even though I live in a metropolican borough, which is hardly out in the wilds.

I have recently checked with BT what the line can support under MAX DSL and they have said 6Mb, so on that basis I have ordered MAXdsl via Plusnet.

Am I wasting my time since even though the line to my house can take 6Mb the wiring inside adds so much noise that 1Mb is the best I will ever get?

re: noise my router reports......
US margin 27, DS margin 16
Los 0
DS Line Attenuation 50, US Line Attenuation 56

If I move the router right next to the BT outlet(ie eliminating the extension cable) I get
US margin 27, DS margin 24
Los 0
DS Line Attenuation 49, US Line Attenuation 55

Hardly a big change!

Could anyone say what ths all means and hazard a guess on what I should expect re: speed?

Thanks in advance.
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Those numbers are in decibels, so an increase of 3dBs is about double.

If it is your internal wiring then that is good for the fact that you can directly influence it.

Some tips;
1) Go for high quality micro filters, a search on these forums will give some recommendation's.

2) Google "Ring wire removal" it really is a miracle cure.

3) Relocate your router to the BT master socket.

I reckon that you should see a healthy increase in your speed.

Chilly
N/A

i would suggest getting it with another company not pn
hillfort
Dabbler

Thanks, I'll check out that filter and relocate my router.
Community Veteran

You may also want to consider a filtered faceplate for the master socket. This can also improve your line stats and allows you to separate the connections for phones & ADSL. The one I recommend is XTE-2005 Master face plate.

For info on line stats see ADSL: Understanding Line Loss and measurements (note: this was written before MaxDSL so ignore the line speeds)

For more detailed info on UK telephone wiring and info on ring wire remaval and filtered faceplate affects see here

[edit to correct filtered faceplate link]
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Just to emphasise - replacing the BT Master socket with the NTE-2005 yourself is illegal.
If you have a master socket with a removable lower section then you can replace it with the XTE-2005 filtered faceplate
Community Veteran

yep, sorry, linked to the wrong one Shockedops:
shellsong
Grafter

Just to emphasise - replacing the BT Master socket with the NTE-2005 yourself is illegal.

Yes but no but yes but http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/nte5.htm
Community Veteran

Just to add the caveat that good stats do not necessarily equate to high speeds. There may be other limiting factors such as your exchange and (whisper) the PN network
I have 14dB SNR Margin and 8.5dB attenuation, sync at 8128 & MSR of 8000. Nevertheless I have only once speedtested at 5MB/s and usually get 3-4MB/s (plenty for my needs as it happens).