cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line Noise Help

N/A

Line Noise Help

Can someone analyse these stats for me and tell me anything interesting?

Greatly appreciated.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 1152 kbps 288 kbps
Line Attenuation 14 db 2.5 db
Noise Margin 31 db 31 db

Thanks much.
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Line Noise Help

Your line stats are very good and are likely to support 8Mbs speeds.

See ADSL: Understanding Line Loss and measurements which explains what the numbers mean.
N/A

Line Noise Help

My router dont give me the line DB and noise info. is thier any other way i can get them info
LiamM
Grafter

Line Noise Help

It is technically possible by requesting Plusnet to ask BT to perform a 'woosh' test. However, this is not standard practice and, especially at this busy time, I wouldn't bother asking. I believe this only gives Attenuation Figures and not SNR.

The only real way you can find out whether your line will support higher speeds is to order it and allow BT to perform the more detailed tests on your line.
N/A

Line Noise Help

thanks i just wanted to know because since i installed broadband i get this hissing noise in my fone, thot by doin the test i may find some info out, ill just wait then
Community Veteran

Line Noise Help

Hissing is a sign of a bad/faulty microfilter. It can also happen if you have digital (DECT) phones and some cheaper microfilters.

To solve this you need to use higher quality microfilters. I recommend the Excelsus Z-420UK-A Dynamic ADSL Microfilter or the XF-1e Professional ADSL Microfilter.
N/A

Line Noise Help

im actually not using any filters that plus net supllied me, my filters i got supllied had i small connection and 1 standard telephone connection ( not sure what you call them) but from my modem to the box i have the standard phone connection or the big connection socket, so i got a adaptor where i can use the 2 big connections not 1 small and 1 big, but i still get phone calls n internect connections.

Hope you understand this lol, i fink you called them rj12 or 15 or 30.
Community Veteran

Line Noise Help

You must use an ADSL microfilter into which you connect ordinary phones if you have an ADSL modem/router on your line. The microfilters block the high frequencies the ADSL modem uses and must be fitted to each telephone socket you have a normal phone connected..

It sounds like you are using a socket doubler and not a microfilter. A microfilter normally has 2 types of socket, one for a normal phone connector and one for the smaller squarer DSL cable.

See ADSL: Wiring and Filters.

Not using the correct microfilters can cause problems with your phones and your ADSL connection.
N/A

Line Noise Help

Just changed the adsl filter on my line.. was using a cheapo one which came with my adsl router.. used to get crc errors and errored seconds all the time. Got 50+ in 2 days.
Spent what seemed a bit excessive.. £12.99 Shockedops: .. But its sorted my line completely.. So far 3 hours and glitchless surfing. Solid attenuation and noise.. where as it flunctuated with the cheapo filter.
If in doubt.. try a top quality filter first.

SNR Margin : Down 25-27db , Up 31db
Line Attenuation : Down 37.8db , Up 23db

Rock solid 2Mb connection Cheesy

Louis