cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line Condition

gpsmout
Grafter

Line Condition

As of just now my ADSL router has synched with the excahnge and I have this data ;
Line Condition

Protocol ADSL State Showtime
Data Path Fast
Operation Mode G.DMT

Downstream Upstream
Line Status ADSL Link Speed 576 kbps 288 kbps
SNR 5.0 dB -
ATEN 70 dB 31 dB
Line Error ADSL layer FEC 0 0
CRC 1 34
ATM layer HEC 1 17
Frame Counter 35 35

BT prevoulsy rejected my line as entirely unsuitable but I following the Sept 6th lifting of limits it has been enabkled. Still cant log on or browse with Plus Net user name and password via ADSL though; not yet anywya.

Any comments?

Graham :?:
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Line Condition

SNR of 5 dB is very low so you may have disconnect problems.

Downstream Atten of 70dB is why you were rejected last time as 60dB was the limit for 512K before 6th Sept.. Since 6th Sept there is no limit for 512K (which is why you now have 512K ADSL) but you will not be able to get a faster connection as 1Mb now has a limit of 60dB.

If you do get frequent disconnections report it to PlusNet and they will pass it on to BT who may send out an engineer to replace your master socket to improve your signals.

The reason you can't use the connection is probably due to BT's system failure. There have been many like you who can sync but can't connect.

See Systems failure hits BT broadband upgrades and Announcement: Problems with Processed Regrades - Update which will also effect new activations.

Please remember to check the service status page (see link on left).
Community Veteran

Line Condition

Your Signal to noise ratio (SNR) at 5dB is a problem.
To get a working line this needs to be about 10dB or higher.

The above figure is the difference between the ADSL signal and the line noise so it looks like your line needs some attention from the BT engineers.
If you have not already done so then raise a link:Contact us ticket to get this done.
gpsmout
Grafter

Line Condition

Thanks for the advice chaps.
I will contact Plus Net
gpsmout
Grafter

Line Condition

I have replacd some wires and now have differnt line condition stats;

It stays connected but I still cannot log in or Plus Net; I get a connected sign and the follwoing IP if I use bt_test@startup_domain but the web site I am supposed to be able to browse, www.bt.com/digitaldemo . but no!

as follows;
Select index to set Not selected1

Item Name
VPI
VCI
Encapsulation PPPoA VC mux

Login User Name
Login Password
Confirm Password
Authentication chap
Connect On Demand denabled
Idle Time 0

PPP Information
IP Address 217..41.154.171
Gateway 217.32.96.251
Connection Status connected

Line condition; (SNR seems worse!)

Line Condition

Protocol ADSL State Showtime
Data Path Fast
Operation Mode G.DMT

Downstream Upstream
Line Status ADSL Link Speed 576 kbps 288 kbps
SNR 4.0 dB -
ATEN 69 dB 31 dB
Line Error ADSL layer FEC 0 0
CRC 19 65
ATM layer HEC 9 24
Frame Counter 53 53

Loop Distance: About 14 K ft.

comments please !

NB; Plus Net tickets are not being replied to; Posted two last nigth and two today, none have been acknowledged and are still open. Must be very busy I suppose.
Community Veteran

Line Condition

Yes the SNR is worse at 4dB Cry
Support are indeed very busy at the moment with all the sign ups / regrades that are going on since the relaxing of the limits.

You do need to get Plusnet to call out BT on this one and they can try and get it to work for you (at no cost to you) so it just a matter of patience now until it can get dealt with.
gpsmout
Grafter

Line Condition

Thats what I thought;

Just noticed a ticket that says that my ADSL acount will be active from 14th Sept; 12.00 noon so a fair wait just yet! However I am going to raise a new ticket to see if they can send BT out to improve the line and the SNR; I think there are a number of load balancing coils in our line that may be causing high attenuation ; these were used in the 60's a lot when the STD POTS telelphone system was in its infancy ; we ceratinly have something odd in our terminal box on the window cill. All odf the line to our house for the last 2000m or more is barnd new and we are in fact by the cable route only a maximum 3 miles from the excahnge; so unless there are lots of taps and bridges artificailly increasing it s length we should eventually Ihave a service over ADSL.

Graham
Community Veteran

Line Condition

I'd be surprised if you have "Loading coils " in your line.
These were only used in the "Trunk" circuits that carried traffic between the repeater stations usualy from town to town. They equalised the frequency response of the cable to make its response "flat" between 300 hertz and 3100 hertz and any signal above 3100 hertz just didn't get through.
So ADSL would have no chance with loading coils in the circuit.

I spent some time in the late 60's setting up these trunk circuits amoung other things in my time as a "Post Office" engineer Wink
gpsmout
Grafter

Line Condition

John;

we are talksing of two different things; what are the things inside an old fashined terminal connection box; the telephone line comes into the building into a terminal box where there are two ceramic joints with wire wound around their outside. These a and b terminals then go into the line box that you plug your telepone into plus any extention wiring.

Graham
Community Veteran

Line Condition

Ok what you can see is the old fashioned temination that use to be fitted with 3 things.
1. There were fuses that would blow if your lines made contact say with overhead power cables.

2. There were devices called "Heat Coils" that were in fact a coil of wire wound around a soft solder core so that if the fuses didn't blow because it was just a partial contact with not enough current, then the coild would get warm, melt the solder and a spring would short the line to earth.

3. Finally there were "Arresters" which were flat carbon pieces seperated by a thin mica layer and they would arc over if your line was struck by lightning.

With the advent of mainly underground wires these were no longer used after about 1970.
gpsmout
Grafter

Line Condition

Thanks; just sent yuo a PM

Now connected

speed test results;

we have a lot of overhead line!

Graham

PlusNet Speed Test

Your current speed is:

455.30kbps

Which means you can download at 56.91 KB/sec. from our servers.

53.3 kbps 56k Dial Up
64 kbps ISDN 1 Channel
128 kbps ISDN Dual Channel
455.3 kbps YOU
460 kbps ADSL 500
920 kbps ADSL 1000
1840 kbps ADSL 2000

The following table shows the speeds you achieved from previous runs of the speed tester:

Date Speed Achieved (kbps)
11-09-2004 20:58:28 385.1
11-09-2004 20:54:43 484.8
11-09-2004 20:54:10 424.2