cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line Attenuation affected by router/modem?

glynh
Dabbler

Hi,

Just wondering if a router or modem would add anything to the line attenuation? I got my free regrade to 2Mb, but then started having frequent connection drops and sync losses. I raised a ticket and BT downgraded me to 1Mb ( Sad ). I use a Speedtouch 330 adsl modem and my line stats from the whoosh test are:

Upstream xDSL Link Info
Loop Loss 25 dB

Downstream xDSL Link Info
Loop Loss 53 dB

I just find it strange that the figures are so far apart. The exchange is about 1Km away too.

So, I was wondering if there is anything I could do to better the downstream loss , such as replacing the modem? My only option really as I have tried the modem in the master socket and got simialr figures to BT's using DR speedtouch.

Cheers
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

The figures are so far apart because its a different range of frequencies that are used for up and down signals. The downstream being much higher and therefore subject to greater loss.

From the look of those figures your line will not support 2meg and will only take 1 meg maximum.

Not a lot you can do if you have tried the master socket directly with all other phnes disconnected.

I can only suggest trying to borrow a router or different modem to prove the issue.
jagger
Grafter

I've been searching for info on line attenuation.The best I've found so far is

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

It clears up what you really want to see if you want 2meg reliably and contains some useful bits and pieces.Like mentioning all the 2meg upgrades that later get dropped to 1meg after whoosh tests.Big Target again I'm afraid.

Not quite an answer to your question,but helpful I hope.
glynh
Dabbler

Cheers johnessex and jagger,

My worst fears confirmed Sad . Like many others probably feel, it's a bit kack when you live about 1km from the exchange (actual cable length will be longer I know Smiley ) and u think your going to be able to get 2mb easily, only to have to be downgraded to 2mb. Still, at least I can get Broadband and the upgrade was a freebie, so something is better than nothing.

Mind you, for the first coupl of years we lived at this house, our phone line was crackly. I had BT out 3 times to try to fix it. Only on the third attempt did they sem to manage to fix it. I think they cleaned up some contacts somewhere, so I guess the quality of the line is suspect and there is nowt I can do.

Still, I'll defo try and borrow a mates router to see if that gives any better figures and keep my fingers crossed. I may try getting a NTE5 filtered faceplate and just run a lenght of CAT5e cable upstairs, even if it only serves to remove the need for microfilters it will be beneficial.

thx anyway.

Smiley
N/A

The NTE face plate worked wonders on my connection. 2Mb connection works fine now on a 61db attenuation.
Vince
glynh
Dabbler

Thanks VInce,

I'lll buy one of these today and give it a try. Not sure if BT will switch me back over to 2Mb to try it out tho...anyone know if they would do this? I assume I go through PN ticket system.

Under my NTE5 Box, on the network side (i.e. before the NTE5 box) I have a small (2.5" long by about 1.5" high) white box that the wires pass through. ANyone know what this is?

Cheers.