cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line Attenuation / SNR, is there any hope of 8Mbits?

N/A

Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin 21.3 29.0 dB
Line Attenuation 52.9 27.5 dB
Errored Seconds 166 40
Loss of Signal 1 1
Loss of Frame 0 0
CRC Errors 199 50
Data Rate 1152 288 kbps
Latency FAST FAST

Looking at the above figures, could anyone tell me whether I'll ever be able to obatin more than 1Mbit broadband?

Is there anything that can be done to improve such things as the line attenuation? Or am I too far from the exchange? One thing I have noticed is when it rains heavily, the connection always seems to drop, so perhaps theres a dodgy connection somewhere.....??

Cheers

Ben
4 REPLIES
N/A

It appears that I'm around 2.4 miles away from the exchange! I can only assume this is bad...
Community Veteran

If you are not plugged into the master socket then try that with no other phones connected and see if it gives any better figures.

It is the length of and quality of the line from exchange to your house where the most signal loss occurs and you can't change that.

There are two places where you can get an estimate of your MaxDSL speeds:

BT ADSL checker

http://212.23.23.177/calc.htm

You should get more that 1Mbs with those figures as MaxDSL uses SNR rather than Line attenuation to determin the maximum speed, but your upper limit is likely to be around 3Mbs.
N/A

Just had a play with router locations etc etc and have obtained the following:

SNR Margin 28.5 29.0 dB
Line Attenuation 54.8 27.5 dB
Errored Seconds 9 4
Loss of Signal 3 3
Loss of Frame 0 0
CRC Errors 0 0
Data Rate 1152 288 kbps
Latency FAST FAST

Looking at that website it believes I should be able to obtain 8mbps, and the BT site reckons my line supports 2mbps, so why can I only sync at 1mbps?
Community Veteran

Because under the current limits that BT impose, your line attenuation must be below 43dB for a 2Mbs connection and between 43dB and 60dB for a 1Mbs connection.

With the new MaxDSL connection (which you have not yet been changed to) it's your SNR that is the important figure and the exchange will try and sync at the maximun reliable speed your line will take. Both of the links I gave will show you an approximate speed your stats will allow for MaxDSL.