cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limits on my BB Premier option 1

N/A

Hello everyone - I'm hoping someone might be able to tell me if the following is correct.

I've been with plusnet for quite a few years but not tried using the forums so bare with me.

Recently I've been doing some very large downloads over the month. I realised that I was eating away at my peak time allowance - and so scheduled my downloads this month over off peak hours.

My allowance with 9 days left to run on this billing month reads currently as follows:-

Peak time usage = 11.3gb
Off peak time usage 97.4gb

I'll be the 1st to admit that a have hammered +net this month during off peak hours - here is my problem.

For the last 2 days +net has limited my connection to 128kbps (al la broadband your way restrictions) during peak AND OFF PEAK HOURS.

Are they able to do thisHuh? - I have a peak time allowance of 20gb under option 1 and all there hype says clearly that all off peak bandwidth is not counted in my usage allowanceHuh

Am I just being unfairly restricted or have I missed something in the small print??

I raised a question to tech support at around 10.50am today and I'm still awaiting a response.

Any help appreciated

All the best

Justin
24 REPLIES
Midville
Grafter

Did you get a warning email for your off peak download?Off peak of nearly 100gb might get a few alarm bells going and your connection restricted.

Find some info here http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/archive/bb_premier1.shtml

I don't find it very clear with regards to off peak limits, but I think that 100gb is close to having some sort of restrictions applied. Staff/Mods please correct me if I am wrong.
Community Veteran

All allowance restrictions should be applied during peak time only as should any warning emails. I have heard of speed restrictions continuing (not being added) between midnight and 2am but I'm not sure if that is still the case.

There are no set limits for off-peak usage (the 100GB figure you quote is just a guide and not set in stone) and I'm not aware of any emails being sent out for high off-peak useage. I have gone over 100GB off-peak on several occasions and not had any restyrictions applied or been contacted.

PN may contact you regarding your total usage should it go too high but no restrictions other than the normal contention and central pipe bandwidth availability should apply off-peak.
N/A

thankyou for replying guys.

I've had no emails warning me about high usage as I'm not anywhere near my peak allowance - AND yet I'm still being restricted to 128kbps as I type at 09.21am.

+net replied to my question with the same BB link as posted above - I have checked and double checked it and still dont understand why I'm being capped off peak.

Thanks for your input

Justin
N/A

At 10.20 this morning bandwidth changed to 624kbps inbound connection - still not anywhere near the 3763kbps I am used to.

Outbound connection is still steady at 448kbps - which I find amazing as in the past I ran a server from home and found that any connections to me where added to my usage for the month.

SO at present:

I cant download at full speed but if I ran my server and let someone obtain a file from me they could easily obtain my full outbound bandwidth of 448kbps less degridation - AND it would be added to my peaktime allowance if this took place after 4pm.

I am really finding this quite unjust.

The last thing I want to do is upgrade to a poorer 'broadband your way' product - which i believe to be much more restrictive than the option I am on.

All the best

Justin
Aterlatus
Grafter

I'm getting the same thing right now - supposedly no restrictions on the line and I'm WELL within my monthly allowance (it reset this morning) but I'm only getting 100kbps at best.

The line's even syncing at a usual 4.5mbps but downloads are still slow as hell.

Waiting on a reply to my ticket too, but thought you should know you are not alone ;p
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

At 10.20 this morning bandwidth changed to 624kbps inbound connection - still not anywhere near the 3763kbps I am used to.

Hi,

Looking at the speed history for your line it resync'd to a speed below 1Mbps around 2007-06-04 03:28:55. That will have caused BT to reduce the throughput speed on your line. What speed is the line sync'd at now? So long as the sync increases then BT will automatically increase the throughput rate within 3-5 days.

You can see what the throughput rate (the IP profile) is set to by running the BT speedtest:

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/troubleshooting/bt_speed_tester.shtml
Aterlatus
Grafter

So because a line syncs at a below normal speed for what might be a few minutes, the owner is locked into what is little more than an ISDN speed connection for five days?

That's, well, unbelievable. Is there nothing can be done to force BT to bump it up faster? With a connection like that we might as well be back in the stone age Shocked
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

I'm getting the same thing right now - supposedly no restrictions on the line and I'm WELL within my monthly allowance (it reset this morning) but I'm only getting 100kbps at best.

Hi,

Looks similar to Justin's. The BT Speed report shows that the line sync'd around 576kbps at around 01/06/2007 10:38:48. As such they will have reduced the throughput speed. We've just had a report that it's gone back up to 4Mbps, you might need to disconnect and reconnect for that change to take effect.
Aterlatus
Grafter

Went so far as switching the router off for a few minutes and powering it back up and I'm still stuck:

Sad
N/A

My line is sync'd as follows:

NETGEAR 834G V3
DownStream Connection Speed 3520 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 448 kbps

Thankyou for clearing up this mess - it does sound like a sync issue as I remember that a few days ago it sync'd at next to nothing - although after a few connection attempts over a maximum of 5 mins - sync range was more or less back to normal.

Funny - I recieved a reply to my question raised with support which pointed me to the link in this thread regarding pn's bandwidth management - and am now totally convinced that I was given an automated response from some bot!

Thanks for the help here - its the 1st time I've called upon this side of the site - and am thankful for everyones input.

As for pn's customer service - well - I dont think its got any better - and dont think it will improve over time. Ive been here since 2003 and in that time have only ever had to call on the help and support side of the portal - however every time I have - I've been left feeling disconnected from any real service and felt I was not being listened to.

Yesterdays example of customer service:

Dear Mr Fraser,
Please take a look at the link below:
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/archive/bb_premier1.shtml

Regards,
link:CSA Removed

And that was it - Totally disgusting response to a query you guys on the thread have more or less proved isnt actually pn related - but pn cant be arsed to help people i guess.

Thanks again

Justin
Aterlatus
Grafter

My ticket is being bounced around different departments now, each time being thrown to the back of the line.

Guess I'll be waiting some time on this one Sad
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,

Looking at your speedtest results your IP profile has been reduced back to 135k by BT. If you are syncing at a much higher speed still and this doesn't improve in 3 days we can raise a fault directly to BT Wholesale for you.

It might be worth trying to find the cause of the low syncs, otherwise this might keep reoccuring. Do you notice the sync dropping at all? If so is it at a particular time of day?
Mand
Grafter

As for pn's customer service - well - I dont think its got any better - and dont think it will improve over time. Ive been here since 2003 and in that time have only ever had to call on the help and support side of the portal - however every time I have - I've been left feeling disconnected from any real service and felt I was not being listened to.

Yesterdays example of customer service:

Dear Mr Fraser,
Please take a look at the link below:
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/archive/bb_premier1.shtml

Regards,
link:CSA Removed

And that was it - Totally disgusting response to a query you guys on the thread have more or less proved isnt actually pn related - but pn cant be arsed to help people i guess.

Thanks again

Justin

Hi there,

Apologies for the inadequate response here, I'll make sure it's raised to the management team as we should certainly be checking the BT Delta reports as part of any initial slow speed investigation.

If you do have any queries please feel free to drop by here and one of us will be along to answer them for you. Smiley
Aterlatus
Grafter

Hi there,

Looking at your speedtest results your IP profile has been reduced back to 135k by BT. If you are syncing at a much higher speed still and this doesn't improve in 3 days we can raise a fault directly to BT Wholesale for you.

It might be worth trying to find the cause of the low syncs, otherwise this might keep reoccuring. Do you notice the sync dropping at all? If so is it at a particular time of day?

Thanks for the response Mand. I presume the profile dropped last night when I spotted a single sync that was stupidly low. Restarted the router and it shot back up again.

Is it really feasible that a 10s problem can cause three days of below ISDN speeds? Can nothing be done to speed the process? I'm currently stuck with a connection that's useless for anything beyond basic browsing. All my online games are unplayable Sad