cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limits for 2mbit?

N/A

Limits for 2mbit?

What are the limits for a 2mbit connection?

I had 49dB on my line last time I was WOOSH'd, if the limits are near this (40-45 or whatever) how much variation can occur from day to day, or at different times?

And, what could I do to get my noise down to the required level, if it's quite close? Better cabling? Unplug all phones except my ADSL modem?

Mark
16 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Limits for 2mbit?

Hi,

On an active ADSL line the line loss limit is 45dB. Your line loss figure can change, but you are unlikely to be able to bring it down by much to get it under this figure.
N/A

Limits for 2mbit?

Could it come down by 5dB if it was tested again?

Can I do anything to help it?
N/A

Limits for 2mbit?

Best to keep an eye on it, and yes you can ask for a repeat woosh test. As for improving it, I'm not sure. Maybe one of the others can answer that better than me.

Aaron
N/A

Limits for 2mbit?

Can I have a WOOSH test done without actually placing an upgrade order?
N/A

Limits for 2mbit?

Yes, but you have to place a ticket for it. I would monitor your connection for a while first though,

Aaron
N/A

Limits for 2mbit?

Monitor it looking for what?

Smiley
N/A

Limits for 2mbit?

Shockedops: sorry forgot your using a modem, some routers can provide line information, but you can't get this information from a modem.

Unless anyone else has any further ideas on how to lower the noise, I think for the moment, you'll just have to accept it.
N/A

Limits for 2mbit?

Do you think BT will raise the limits for 2mb, once they see how ppl get along with the new 1mb and 512 limits?
N/A

Limits for 2mbit?

Quite possibly, but only with further testing and seeing how these new limits bed in.

Aaron
N/A

Limits for 2mbit?

I actualy doubt BT will shift on its possition regarding the 2Mb limits for at least 12 months.

During the extended reach trials, only 512Kb trialists where taken on board. No testing was performed for 1Mb, but BT made more best effort limits.

BT's stance was that they had conducted a thourough network audit, in order to raise the 1Mb limits, and saw no changes possible to 2Mb.

If they where to raise the limits, it would only be in the region of 3 or 4dB (48, 49 or 50dB), as there simply wouldn't be enough SNR in copper to sustain a connection.

Best guesses are to wait until ADSL2 and/or FTTH, which are a long way off.
N/A

Limits for 2mbit?

Okie...

If I unplug all of my phones (which go into splitter adaptors at the moment, not actual extension sockets) how many dB of noise do you think I'll lose?

I only need to lose 4 or 5 dB to be able to get 2mb :p
Community Veteran

Limits for 2mbit?

Dont mix up noise and line loss, they are two totally different things.
Removing your phones may reduce the line noise by a very small amount but your problem is line loss. In other words the loss of signal between the exchange and you.
Removing the phones will have no effect on this.
N/A

Limits for 2mbit?

Hi

i have had my 2mb upgrade cancelled cos of line noise, from my router i can see this info:

Mode: G.DMT
Type: Fast
Line Coding: Trellis On

Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin (dB): 30.0 27.0
Attenuation (dB): 33.5 27.0
Output Power (dBm): 11.9 14.6
Attainable Rate (Kbps): 5696 1048
Rate (Kbps) 576 288
K 19 10
R 0 0
S 1 1
D 1 1

Super Frames 4924294 4924292
Super Frame Errors 53 7
RS Words 0 0
RS Correctable Errors 0 0
RS Uncorrectable Errors 0 N/A
HEC Errors 13 3
OCD Errors 0 0
LCD Errors 0 0
ES Errors 52 0

does that make sense to anyone? if it does could you point me in the right direction as if i could get 1mb adsl?

tia

ged
Community Veteran

Limits for 2mbit?

Looks fine to me and should support 2Mb easily.

I suggest you get PlusNet to put a manual order though and state your figures above as the reason and see what happens.