cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limiting GB's of download per month.....

craigbrass
Grafter

Now that freeserve has changed into wanadoo, I see they are now limiting the amount of GB's you can download/upload per month. On the standard 512kb, you can only download 15GB per month.

Considering alot of the time I download/upload that much in a day alot of the time, will Plusnet be doing this at any point?

Yours,
Craig Brass
11 REPLIES
N/A

There are quite a few restricted "bare bones" Broadband offers around - some don't even offer email, I think BT do one for £18 but you are limited to 2GB download, but you can still buy the full access at around £25.
N/A

In the past, it has been said there are no forseeable plans to change the model, unless they add new products.

AKA. They hope to offer a non-restricted product for as long as comercialy possible.

However, if you look at http://www.plus.net/ you will see a new capped usage product for £14.99 a month. Providing a 1GB monthly allowance.
csogilvie
Grafter

For Wanadon't users, its just users signing up on, or after, Wednesday, but hte feeling I get is that there are a lot getting prepared to phone up and asking for their CBUK number.
N/A

Not at all, it's clearly been stated anyone who signed up before the 28th continues to have unmetered service. What this means for an upgrade is yet to be seen. Anywho ordering now knows the terms and what they're getting so there is no confusion. It was only a matter of time before freeserve/Wanadoo were to go down the capped route with the amount of users it has.
N/A

Not at all, it's clearly been stated anyone who signed up before the 28th continues to have unmetered service.

Confusion, maybe not, but certainly "preferential service" for existing users. Can this be done by law ?? A two tier service at the same price !!!
I can also see monitoring it and enforcing it being a bit of a nightmare.
N/A

Yes it is legal by law.

This works by discontinuing the product. What they can't do is to shutoff existing users onto the capped service.

However, you right, it is only a matter of time till they do move them over.
N/A

Havent plus net just done on of these connections. 15 a month 1gb download a month
N/A

Yes, however, PlusNet still have there £21.99 a month package available.

Freeserve are going to provide accounts with caps full-stop.
N/A

ok hear is my question on this matter, say for what ever reason plusnet decide that they want to cap all dsl accounts, what would happen if I no longer wanted to stay with the service but still had contract time left. Would I be able to get out of it to move to an uncapped isp or would plusnet honor the uncapped plan for as long as my contract would last and then be able to move?

Please not I STRONGLY hope you dont decide to do this in the future as you would loose a customer thats so far VERY happy with the service.

On another note this capping idea is a very sad turn of events for the uk broadband market. As the net takes off more and more download sizes grow and grow, just look at Steam from valve you install that and you have over a gig to download before you can use it properly. Beta tests of other games/software would be out of your reach due to most being over a gig. How about those of us that download linux distrobutions one new release and the cap is already hit. Basically 1gig doesnt really cut it now days as that could easily be used in a day.

It often makes me wonder just where ISP's belive they need to do this from when you read about isp's like Yahoo!BB in japan that offer services of 10mbit lines with more features than you can shake a stick at with no cap and for less than we pay for 1/10th of the bandwidth.
N/A

I think, following what acarr said, they can't change the product you're on. They would have to discontinue your product, which I assume would mean any contracts are immediatley terminated. But I'm not too good on the legal side, so don't take my word for it!
N/A

Indeed. PlusNet can't change your product type without consent. If it was because of a discontinues product, you could use the get-out clause.

However, PlusNet could change the contract, such they could move you from a disconinued product. You can use the get-out here too.

That being said, even Home lite is only £24.99 a month if you where to use it as if it was uncapped.

The get-out clause does not mean you won't incur charges. You would need to fulfill any defered payments like activation and hardware, you not any charges as a result of terminating before a contract ends.