cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limewire

N/A

Limewire

Ughh this gets me really angry i seem to be upgraded to a 2MB line now which i thinks great! But... still.... limewire Sad its still being blocked by plusnet... i think it would be great if they unblocked my ports.. hint hint :x lol
15 REPLIES
N/A

Limewire

Hi,

What account are you on?

Plus net do not block Limewire. Traffic may be prioritised on certain accounts or some accounts may not be permitted to use P2P, a fact made clear when these products where signed up for.
N/A

Limewire

I have just started using Limewire and there has been no problems at all. Maybe a software firewall is blocking it?
N/A

Limewire

hey i am having the same problem. BitComet i use for sharing large recorded music files with my groups, but i think PN have blocked the ports, as the downloading speed has decreased substantially. And im on a 2mb line. If lucky, i get speeds of 40.
N/A

Limewire

P2P applications are very poor method to test the speed of your connection. They suffer from very different results from download to download, network to network, software to software and even from one min to the next.

What torrent files are your trying?

I suggest attempting to download a Linux ISO via BitTorrent. If you have the same problems there, then you may need to look deeper.
N/A

Limewire

If you think it's a particular port that's giving you a problem try downloading the BitTorrent downloader from here http://www.bittorrent.com/index.html which allows you to set which port you use i believe.
N/A

Homesrf

Im on the homesurf account and i know that that blocks all p2p activity... u can always say "just upgrade" but its not that simple... my dads work pays the bill for him... thats why i cant upgrade
N/A

Limewire

In which case, there is little to be said here.

How can expect PlusNet to unblock a product which they are supplying, because you are unhappy for the blocks to be in place.

I do however have a suggestion which may be agreeable to both parties.

Ask your dad to ask his work, if they can change it over to a Broadband+ package. It's £4 per month cheaper and allows P2P access.

Although it would mean slower P2P downloads at times, it actualy allows them (ie, not blocked).

It would mean a £14.99 downgrade fee for the process, but this would be recovered within 4 months, after which they will be saving money.
N/A

Limewire

i am on 2mb premier service. there are many different types of torrent files, some more popular and which i believe have more seeds/peers than others, yet bitcomet only connects to a extremely small amount. bitcomet has worked for me in the past, but lately it has been slow, very slow in download progress. a simple 10mb file on a 2mb connection would take less thanx 5 minutes surely, but when i try it would probably take me an hour. i have tried the linus iso, which is around 700mb, but that only connects to 5 peers and 3 seeds for me, even though i know the linus iso is connected to many many people. if plusnet have not blocked p2p on my service, then i don't know what else there is that would affect this. if i download from microsoft to say update my updates, then it would download from 100kbs+. it does not feel that way with p2p programs.
N/A

Limewire

The low number of peers it connects to does sound like one problem.

Have you setup port forwarding, or where possible uPnP, so that youe BT client is connectable?

Being connectable will greatly improve your chances of reaching faster seeds/peers, and open your ability to connect to more sources in genral.

Have you changed the default port in use?

Some BT trackers & clients will block people from connecting, if the defaults are in use.

I am on the same product as you, and get upto full speed, where the torrent is complete enough accross seeds/peers.
N/A

Limewire

Unfortunately i havent purchased a router yet. I am still using the Voyager USB Modem that was supplied with me when i ordered broadband, but i am going to buy the new NetGear one soon. Anyway, because i have a modem, all ports are supposedly opened anyway. Only the onlys you configure via Firewall are blocked. And i have allowed all ports to be acessed with BitComet and various other Internet programs. I dont think i have ever reached full speed when using Bitcomet on my upgraded 2mb line. This is worrying as i feel i am getting ripped off. Even though £21.99 is cheap, i dont feel i am getting my supposed money's worth. I don't like using p2p software like limwire and kazaa etc because of numerous viruses and trojans hidden within files, which is why i prefer Bitcomet as you can see what you are downloading. Also, for some unknown reason which i can not find a solution to, is that my Bitcomet download speed can never be set to No Limit? It is always on 600, and whenever i set it to No Limit, whenever i go back to it, it changes back to 600.
N/A

Limewire

The next thing I would suggest is an attempt to disable your firewall & virus scanner for a short time, in order to rule them out.

Although many people feel this step is a stupid one, it's also a needed one.
N/A

Limewire

I used to run limewire on my iBook and it worked fine till about a month ago when I struggled to even get a connection. It was the same time that I put Mc Affee on my PC, so I was wondering whether this could be the cause. I'm not sure though because I connect my iBook by a router whether Mc Afee would be able to affect this. I tried everything including installing an old version of limewire btu to no avail. Luckily I didn't use limewire much insongs but I can see how it would be frustrating for people who use it alot.
N/A

Limewire

ok right now im downloading without a firewall set-up just following your tips. Well there doesnt seem to be much change...but i'll leave it abit longer to see if i have to wait for the speeds to increase. Limewire has not been reliable for me either because of the small distrbution of files. Nowadays most people use P2P such as BitTorrent sharing method. This is most popular and probably the easiest way, but it does has disadvantages such as the ones im having now Tongue Well i'll get back to report if the speeds are increasing or not
N/A

Limewire

I use azureus (a torrent client) and bearshare (very rarely). I'm on premier 2Mb and have no problems (apart from random disconnects..which is a different kettle of fish). I use sygate personal firewall pro, which is 1000000 trillion times better than zonealarm or avg, imo anyway. Even the free version's better. I'd suggest you try it anyway, really easy to use and you'll love it, guaranteed.

If you take a look at www.portforward.com it could help. Generally, as a rule, isp's block port 6881 (the standard bit torrent port). Although plus.net don't, apparently. I would use a different one anyway. Depending on what you're downloading, it could be that you need to be registered on a tracker (where the torrent file was originally uploaded - private sites, etc) and possibly using a port in a specified range. Like someone said, your best test is a linux .iso. I usually get full speed on torrent from www.slackware.org . Torrents can never really be superfast, it's one of those things.