cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lift & Shift with BT

N/A

Lift & Shift with BT

Can anyone help with regards to who I can speak to regarding my none Broadband connection.

Connection kept dropping so reported fault, wont bore you with all the details but eventually was told by BT man fault was at exchange and a lift & shift needed to be done. Was told should take no longer than 5 days! but to do it they need to disconnect my broadband connection. 15 days later !!!! and still have no ADSL Plusnet says BT have no available connections at exchange?

What are my options if any other than wait?

Thanks in advance.

Kevin
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Lift & Shift with BT

From the sound of it there are no spare DSLAM's at your exchange. However you must have been connected to one in the first place so what happened to that one? My guess is that it has been proved faulty and there are no spare ones to move you on to.
As far as I can see the only thing you do is hope that BT update the number of DSLAM's in the exchange.
cfroggett
Grafter

Lift & Shift with BT

from the info provided I agree with John, I had a similar siutation a while back, but fortunately I guess someone else cancelled/moved and I was back within a day or 2.
N/A

Lift & Shift with BT

Hello,

This sounds familiar to what my wife and I are experiencing at the moment - e.g. we are connected via out netgear router on a 2meg link, all fine, then the connection just drops out and we need to restart our router to reconnect as the isp supplied ip adr. is gone - is this what you get? Sometime up to 20 times a day?
We have been bounced between plusnet and bt for the past 2 months, both parties saying 'there is no problem with us' - I disagree!

Would be interested to hear your thoughts,

regards,

Ian
cfroggett
Grafter

Lift & Shift with BT

My experience was of losing the ADSL sync to the exchange completely, the modem would try and reconnect, sometimes it would, sometimes it wouldn't - turn off for 30-60 mins, try again, usually it would reconnect (80% of the time, the other 20% would leave it for a few hours, evenutually would connect). Mine was certainly a BT problem. If you are losing ADSL sync then it is an exchange problem. What do your modem/router logs say? To fix it - BT were actually really good, sending over a couple of engineers who didn't just walk around (I do this for a living, so know when they are talking a load of ol' pony!) and they moved me onto a new port at the exchange which fixed the issue.
N/A

Lift & Shift with BT

These problems sound exactly like those I've experienced since returning from holiday.

Connections frequently lost sometimes requiring a router 'reboot'. Running diagnostics on the router suggesting that sync with the exchange is lost.

Also I've had a wild variance in performance when I've run the speedchecker (from below ADSL500 to over 2000 on their scale).

According to the fault checker the exchange is over-contended and in the red.

All in all it's been a pain in the behind and a real shame as up to this point I'd been experiencing a good solid stability and performance.
N/A

Lift & Shift with BT

Im also getting bad sync issue so bad that my stable rate keeps being set to 500kbps as i keep loosing sync.

In responce to this PN wrote

The problem you are describing is unlikely to be exchange related, I beleive this is more specific to your line.

MAX DSL will reduce your sync/throughput rates according to the state of the line quality at the time - drops can occur quite regularly, a rise will take 3 days of stability. If one instance of lower sync is recorded int he 3 day period then the count begins again.

What you need to do is determine the source of the interference and try and eliminate, or at least reduce it as much as is possible.

you may wish to have a read of our portal MAX DSL guides:

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/getready.shtml?link=suptop5_bb1

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/network/dslmax_guide.shtml

This explains how the system works and how to ensure that the setup on your side is optimised for high speed broadband.

Regards,
Andrew Bunker

Now what else can i do ive changed my router, filters and so on nothing makes any difference. My exchange is red and has been for almost 2 months now as they keep moving there fix date. Do i have to just wait with my fingers crossed that it will be fixed any time soon or will have to live with 500kbps speeds and pay PN £29.99 for this.
Can i contact BT about this and any idea where i can get a number to do so.
cranwin
Dabbler

Lift & Shift with BT

I am having a very similar problem with our exchange, I have been in this situation for over 18 months, originally with Tiscali and now I have the same problem on PN. I have an additional problem in that I cant use my phone when DSL is connected because you can here the connection on the phone.
has anyone else had this problem?

I have contacted BT directly on the following numbers:

BT Wholesale - 0800-169-0934

BT chairmans complaints office - 0800-328-7103

They seem to be trying to help, but I am having to chase them all the time and it seems that no BT Department wants to take responsibility....
N/A

Lift & Shift with BT

Thanks for the numbers but I know if I ring them there say contact your isp and then Pn will pass it back to bt and so on.
cfroggett
Grafter

Lift & Shift with BT

Hi all

a couple of things.

Re-sync/ADSL loss - could be due to errors on your line. The trick is "who do you need to fix it". By "line" I mean all the cabling in your house - to the main termination point in your house, and from that to the outside world all the way up to the exchange. One thing the BT guy did for me was at the main point in the house (where the line comes in from the street and where all your extension points finally connect to) he disconnected ALL the other points in the house and then tested my line. This effectively was now testing the main termination box and the cable to the pole outside which then runs to the exchange, eliminating any other housing/cabling issue. I still had a problem, so he knew without a doubt that it wasn't anything in my house.

Not sure how easy it is to do it yourself, but this certainly will clarify if you have a internal wiring/filter problem with your phone extensions OR if it is something outside/cable/exchange related.

In my old house I had a phone wire that ran next to the hot water pipe(s) - one day that literally just stopped working (creating noise on the line) leading to resync - took me a while to figure that one out. I assume that the heat degrades either the insulation or something else over time??

Someone posted about hearing "noise" on the line - this almost certainly is a internal house/cable problem and will cause issues with ADSL. You shouldn't hear anything.

Carl
cranwin
Dabbler

Lift & Shift with BT

Hi again,

It was me that said I could here the DSL connection on my phone. and as you have suggested this should point to internal problems with filters etc.

However I only have one BT socket in the house, no extensions and have tried several filters, all new cableing, new router and even a different computer and the problem is still the same, so I know that it is a problem between the master BT socket and the exchange, but getting someone to do something about it is proving almost impossible, the only people who seem vaguely interested are the BT chairmans complaints dept. who are investigating and have told me that it saeems to be the ADSL equipment at hte exchange that is causing the problem. The really frustrating part is that I left my old ISP bacause they would not solve this problem and I seem to be in the same boat with PN as they seem to be taking the same stance. I am still willing to be proven wrong by PN though so if anyone from PN reads this please can you get on the case....?
cfroggett
Grafter

Lift & Shift with BT

Out of my depth now, don't suppose you have some large magnets or other EMF type kit in your house that may be causing some interference (or your neighbours?). Other than that, must be a BT issue - get an engineer around!
cranwin
Dabbler

Lift & Shift with BT

Had BT around 4 times and 3 of them told me it was a problem at the exchange, so I am pretty convinced that this is where the problem lies however getting BT to do anything about it is the real problem...... This is what I hoped PN would be able to sort out...... Sad
cfroggett
Grafter

Lift & Shift with BT

I empathise with both you and PN on this one. There is a clear hand over of responsibility between the telcom (BT) and the ISP (PN). Hardware at the exchange is clearly BT, and to be honest PN (or any other ISP) have about the same influence as you do over them. My tactic with BT - the squeaky wheel gets the oil, keep on at them daily (ask for udpates, dates of when action is to be taken etc), have them "move your port" at the exchange to see if it solves the problem etc.
cranwin
Dabbler

Lift & Shift with BT

Well got BT out on Friday and they have at least solved part of the problem. I now have a stable connection and Con no longer here the DSL on the phone line....

However cant get connection speed above around 500 Kbps which PN are now reporting to be my MSR have tried the disconnect / reconnect once a day for 3 days trick but that has not done a thing..... BT have told me I should achieve around 6.5Mbps on this line..

But at least I have moved on a stage, and can now use my connection for more than 10 mins...

Thanks for all your suggections.