cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Let me just tell you how crappy AOL are...

craigbrass
Grafter

Ok, basically, my aunt got AOL broadband 512kb in january this year when her exchange became avalable. She has 2 laptops and a desktop computer so she wanted it to work on all of them at the same time so she called me in. I ordered a DG834G wireless router for her and set it all up and it worked perfectly. That was until about 2 months ago. It just stopped working and refused to connect to the AOL network. I tried a few things including the BT Test login which worked perfectly proving it was a probem at AOL's end.

I then contacted AOL via phone (on behalf of my aunt) who said the connection has to be upgraded to 1mb to support routers so we requested the upgade. 2 weeks later it still wasn't working so I phoned AOL again and they told me to try a few things but with no joy and then they checked and said MBR had been barred from the exchange. He said that he would have it sorted in 24 hours. Still wasn't in a week. I then contacted them again and they said they would fix it within 24 hours. Another week passed and I contacted them again and requested a MAC code to move to plusnet and used alot of legal stuff saying that we were not getting the service we are paying for and that they are in breach of their own contact by not providing us with adiquate service but they wouldn't listen and said the 12 month contract is UNBREAKABLE aparently. We are just going to keep pestering them until they allow my aunt to move to plusnet, a decent service providor!
16 REPLIES
N/A

I suggest sending it by registered post, requesting that they answer within 14 days and that you have sent a copy of the letter to trading standards.

Make note of the fact you where told it was "unbreakable".

If they decide to ignore you, ask trading standards to attempt contact on your behalf.

You will need 14 days, otherwise Trading Standard may say you have not allowed them due process.
N/A

there is also something else you can use....
the FOI ruling.
the freedom of information act is now valid and allows you to request for information.
see if you can find info on how to use it on the web. then demand a reply within the act and they must comply within 21 days max or be in breach of the law.
Cheesy
not sure how it works but im sure it will kick some a** :twisted:
N/A

Why would they need to do that?

FOI can't/wont give access to a MAC code. FOI can only gain access to existing information, not information that is generated on demand, as MACs are.

FOI also won't provide help in finding out what has been submitted to BT regarding the line fault. AOL are BTs customer in terms of ADSL, for which they don't have to release information on this relationship.
craigbrass
Grafter

Get the latest in this escapade, we threatened them with taking legal action againsts AOL to a support agent over the phone and they said "Go on then" and cut us off.
N/A

As I said, it's now time to make it official on paper.

They may find it funny to say things on the phone which they could claim didn't happen. Whilst many phone conversations are recorded, not all are (space and resources. They usualy take random samples).

Getting things on paper, and forwarding them to trading standard (and given that 14 day reply time), will get you further than the phone sounds likely to.

Don't make a big issue over what happened on the phone, as they will see you as little more than a winger. Keep it to the point and it should keep it productive.

Whilst they claim your side of the contract can't be broken, it may be true. What they fail to remember is, that if they fail to do the same, there is no your side of the contract.
craigbrass
Grafter

Yea, I seen your comment after I made the phone call, I am prepairing writing the letter now. Would you mind helping me with how to word it as I aint too good with this sorta thing?
N/A

Watchdog can be a real help here.

THIS sample letter relates to poor workmanship, but contains the relevant information needed to make a complaint regarding a service.

In pleaces where is refers to "work" and "workmanship" it can be changed to refer to "services."

In adition to asking them to rectify the issue, you may be wise to note that you would prefer your MAC code. You do have the option of noting that you would only accept a MAC code.

Alternatives to a MAC, is asking them to terminate all services, and possibly taking on a new service with free activation. PlusNets net do this now, so MAC or cancellation (although inconveniant) are both options.

You can take out the information about contacting other suppliers, as it does not apply.

You should possibly make a list of organisations you could send to, including tranding standards, ofcom, also lookup the independant dispute provide that AOL deal with.

This information will be available in their Code of Practice, which they are required to have available (even if only to members) by OFcom, otherwise they can be in hot water.

Some good advice about complaints is available on the Watchdog website, HERE

Click "Other complaints" under the "How to complain" heading, for some detail about complaining about service rather than goods.

Some more information direct from Trading Standards under the "Services" section, including their own advice on complaints.

Before sending the letter, contact tranding standards by phone. It should be a local call, and may be able to help you some more.
N/A

Anyone who uses AOL whats their head looking at.

The software sucks big time.

The software breaks tcp/ip on a lot of computers.

The software prevents legit programs like VPN from working.

AOL needs to go to the great recycle bin in the sky asap.
N/A

It's a good job you no longer need the software, with the exception of the signup these days then.
LiamM
Grafter

Back in January I signed up with Demon at my girlfriends house.

The service was relatively reliable, but I contacted them to ask what my billing date was and when I could expect my Direct Debit to come out. They informed me this would be the 24th January.

By the second weed in February, the money still hadn't come out. So I contacted them and they told me it could be a problem with my Direct Debit mandate, and sent me another one.

Meanwhile, I moved the money into another account that I could write a cheque from. I wrote a cheque, was about to send it when a letter from my bank turned up saying that they had taken the money on 17th Feb (5 days after the second time I spoke to them) but this had failed so I was being charged for a bounced DD. This charge caused me to go OD which then incurred another charge. Bank charges totalled £55.

So I wrote to Demon and they said it was all my fault. A further letter and I got a similar reply.

So I decided enough was enough. Cancelled the Direct Debit, took my MAC key and moved to PN. They still bill me every month and I have just had my second letter from their Debt Collection department threatening legal action.

I personally don't think they have a leg to stand on giving that they have a legal obligation to inform me of a Direct Debit payment, but I must admit I am a little worried.

I'm only 17 anyhow, can they even take me to Court? Not entirely sure what to do, but I'm drafting another letter to them stating that I do not intend to pay a penny, and that they had broken their contract.
N/A

You can be liable from the age of 16, so yes they can see you in court. Not sure they would be looked on favourably for try, but all the same, they are allowed to try.

It is only credit where they couldn't.
craigbrass
Grafter

Well, I sent the letter recorded first thing monday morning. By this morning (says 10:17 on Royal Mail site), they had got the letter and then by just after 2PM today there was an email in the main screenname inbox which said that 3 times BT had barred somthing called "MBR" from the exchange which happens when using routers (I already knew this as had been told by staff). They told us to unplug all equipment from the line (including phones) while they send a request to BT after recieving the responce from us. We did that and replied and are awaiting responce from AOL to plug equipment back in.

They also said that they can't give out MAC codes until after 12 months, if we cancel the direct debit they will forward the information to a debt collection agency and if we take legal action against us they have a large legal team and we simply do not stand a chance.

Well this better had work otherwise I will explode. And even if it does, I am still moving them to plusnet after 12 months.
N/A

I had missed that detail before.

If AOL are blocking just routers, then they could well be in the right to be doing this under the contract.

If this is so, there is little that can be done, other than wait the 12 months out.
craigbrass
Grafter

No, they just don't allow routers on Silver. Gold and Platinam allow it and is supported. Whole point of upgrading to Gold was to use a router really.