Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Legal to Run Wireless over 10 Miles...

craigbrass
Grafter

Hello,

I am thinking of buying http://www.netgear.com/products/details/ANT24D18.php together with a router that I can connect it to. The question is, am I permitted to do so legally. I live in Carlisle up in Cumbria if thats any help.

I know you lot will say its unsecure but I would be using WPA Encryption, a Randomly Genorated SSID and Mac Codes so only my computers can access it.

Yours,
Craig Brass
9 REPLIES
Cloudmaster
Grafter

I suspect you'd probably need some sort of license from the Home Office (radio regulatory department if that still exists)
N/A

OFCOM is what your after.
Community Veteran

You will need to also bear in mind that at the frequencies used for WiFi then to get that sort of distance you will have to have "Line Of Site" between the two antennas.
If they cant actually see each other with nothing at all (other than fresh air) between them it just wont work.
N/A

As it says on the page:

"For EU, use of any antenna requires careful planning and extra consideration to comply with EU emissions and health standards and regulations. It is recommended that a qualified professional installer service is consulted for site survey and proper installation. Antenna installation must comply with the maximum level authorized by each country.

Devices that comply with EU regulations to work with the ANT24D18 are listed at http://www.NETGEAR.com/go/antennas_eu."
N/A

It's also worth mentioning that if there is water in between the two points, eg a reservoir or even the sea this can affect the signals.

I went to the Bahamas this January and they had this kind of setup between the islands; however no one considered what happens when the sun beats down on the sea - the heat waves coming off the sea meant that the radio signals were interfered with and therefore the connection was down far more than it was up!

Isn't it just microwave links that need line if sight? I thought this was just a radio broadcast in which case line if sight is only essential to get the maximum range.
Community Veteran

Isn't it just microwave links that need line if sight? I thought this was just a radio broadcast in which case line if sight is only essential to get the maximum range.

The frequncies at which WiFi works is not far off microwave and if you notice the arial spec says that the have 18db of gain.
What this means is that the radio signal is virtually forced into a unidirectional beam or "Focussed" by the antenna.
Not to the same degree as a microwave dish but heading that way.
So anything large like a hill or a tall building will have a very marked effect on the signal and most likely will stop it working.

As to the water problem, yes water can have very dramatic effects with signals that are beamed.
I once had horrendous problems with a microwave link across part of Morecombe Bay which regularly faided so much that all signal was lost.
I then realised after putting a chart recorder on the link that the losses always happened at low tide and the angle of the reflected signal was such that it cancelled out the main signal Sad
The cure was to lower the dish it one end so that it just cleared the roof of a nearby Pub but couldn't see the water. Smiley
N/A

cheers for the info - glad to have learnt something today Cool
Community Veteran

Good luck.

My understanding is that providing that you use equipment complying with 802.11 to the maximum permitted power level, I believe 100mW for the UK. Then you should be legal.

(Some US equipment runs at 500mW this would give better results, Wink )

If you search on the internet you will find that this has been tried before.

You will need line of sight and good aerials. And it would be affected by the weather.

Do not expect the full bandwidth of the system you are using.

Also look for wireless Ethernet `bridges` or access points that can work in `bridge` mode. These are indented for this purpose, and will only connect to their partner (using MAC address controls) so security is better.

Please let us know how you get on.

Chilly
N/A

Correct thats why most antenna systems are places at high points i.e. mountains etc.

So anything large like a hill or a tall building will have a very marked effect on the signal and most likely will stop it working..