cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Last chance saloon ( if this aint work,am outta here )

N/A

Hi,

I suppose you have all read my previous thread regarding "constant dissconnections", I have tried everything possible to keep my pc connected to the internet such as new adsl filter, new leads, software upgrade for modem, no other phones plugged in, connected straight into BT master outlet, the list goes on and on.

Anyway, I have decided this is it, I am going to go out and buy a decent modem router instead of my trusty old Speedtouch 330 which according to a few forums just aint up to the job anymore.
Last night i was totally fed up, i must of had to reconnect about 15 times during 11pm to 12.30am. What annoys me is that you pay each month for a service and it only works about 50% of the time. I want 100% like it use to be on my old 1meg connection.

I am now writing this whilst connected using my brand new -

NETGEAR ADSL MODEM ROUTER with 4 port 10/100Mbps switch

Connection seems fine so far. Just tested my actual speed on http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/
and getting -

3826kbps download
366kbps upload

also here are my line stats

System Up Time 00:46:38
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 4627 6355 0 1549 13494 00:10:31
LAN 10M/100M 19336 13722 0 8453 1025 00:46:34

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 4928 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 49 db 15.5 db
Noise Margin 6 db 22 db

This noise margin seems to be changing every 5 seconds to either 3 or 6

Does these stats seem any good?? I do not have a clue

I will post again tonight about 11pm to let you know if i am still connected and if not how may times i have had to reconnect.

Thanks for listening

jes x

ps,

feel free to comment please
10 REPLIES
furryside
Dabbler

Good luck

Good luck (I mean it).
I have tried everything too, in the end I bought a brand new Modem/ router.
+net have failed to answer tickets properly and after over an hour on hold on the phone I get cut off.
I have tried phoning many times and have never got through.
My new Linksys modem/ router still gets cut off every 90 seconds or so.
There is no problem with my line, I have paid BT to test it.
The problem started five weeks ago and has got worse.
According to a Barrister friend of mine we are all entitled to a refund even though there is no service agreement.
The law states that if a buyer of goods or services is unable to enjoy the item ( service or item) then we are entitled to a replacement or our money back..
I have contacted +net pointing this out, they of course are trying to say they are not responsible, and that no refunds or return to previous service will be given.
I am giving them until the end of the week to improve the service.
In the mean time I have been telling all my clients (I repair PC,s) to avoid Plusnet.
lunarjetman
Grafter

What Netgear router are you using? Is it a Netgear DG834G? I'll be interested to see how you get on. I've got a Linksys WAG54G that seems to hold onto the sync reasonably well even when the SNR gets to 0-1db but something obviously tips it over the edge.

I've been monitoring my connection from www.l8nc.com. My disconnections start after 8pm and continue till roughly 2.30-3am. I don't get enough disconnections in one hour for the BT equipment to think I have a problem. However I'm very concerned that come winter the connection will be much worse for much longer periods of the day i.e from about 4pm onwards.
furryside
Dabbler

I am using a Linksys WAG54G also, it has been set up correctly, the problem is with Plusnet or my Local BT exchange.
Plusnet however are being very unhelpful, I know there are problems with maxdsl, but I have not been upgraded yet and should still be on my old 2mb connection.
I am now approaching six weeks of problems with no solution in sight.
keithcalder
Grafter

Have you tried removing the ring wire from terminal 3 inside your bt master socket. I did, and my line which had a flaky snr is now solid and has been since I took the ring wire off. Its the orange one with white bands on it.
furryside
Dabbler

Yup removed ring wire, in fact have done all suggestions on the forum.
All to no avail Cry
Plusnet used to be a good ISP, but sadly it no longer delivers the goods.
A full explaination in plain english would go a long way to helping them and us their customers.
I am fed up to the back teeth with these problems, I would fill this thread with bad language to more fully express my feelings if I could.
My problem was escalated by plusnet weeks ago, and since then nothing!!!!
I think the service and product now stinks.
N/A

Oh dear, maybe it was my speedtouch modem at fault??
Just looked now and i have been connected for over 9 hours on my new moden/router.
So far so good. Lets hope it stays this way.

jes x
furryside
Dabbler

Keeping fingers crossed

Have at last got a connection, that stays in synch :!:
I don't know if it was the call to BT Wholesale, all I know is two days after getting a technician to speak to me the problems finally stopped.
No help or suggestions were forthcoming from PN however.
N/A

Hi Guys

Have been in the same boat as a lot of you over the past two month. and as a result have:

been very frustrated,,,,,,,,,

not had internet access for a month.......

spent lots of time trying to figure it out if it was my system.....

had to use 56k dial up. ........ :shock:

bought new equipment costing over £100 (which i may add gave me access but at a very slow speed).

Had dubious customer service....... then last night i found this

http://www.uk-bug.net/Article1213.html

However, this morning......... my P2P went crazy registered ~ 350kb/s for an extended period. So I checked speed tests on various sites and results varied from 448kb/s to 3568kb/s

FYI am running A G5 Power Mac on OS X 10.4.7 with a Netgear DG834PN my stats are:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 8096 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 30.0 db 15.0 db
Noise Margin 15.1 db 22.0 db

I would add that these stats and the different speed tests I have done, combined with the results i'm getting on P2P, are not adding up.

So I would suggest to hang in there for a little longer it would appear that the problems are outwith PN's control and nearly everyone will suffer them and from my pov we have been used as guinea pigs.

However, if the link is true I think they should have told us.

Keep taking your beta-blockers Wink
N/A

Hi all,

I am now happy !!

Connection is fine, always seem to get connections over 3kbps now.

The modem/router i am using is a DG834

PCworld charged me £109.00 for this router (bandits) I didnt mind paying that amount because i knew i was going to return it to the shop anyway when i found a cheaper one over the internet.

I managed to find a DG834 wireless for £61 including fast delivery !!!!

It arrived today and it too works fine.

Jes x
N/A

Glad to hear it !

Hopefully things will improve from now........... fingers crossed

We should charge Netgear for all the free advertising they are getting........... :lol: