cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Large email attachments

N/A

Large email attachments

I am having problems sending a 5meg attachment. It just keeos timing out on the server. I have set all my local settings to free things up nut is there a limit on relay.plus.net that prevents large files going ?

Thanks
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Large email attachments

Attachment limits are 100Megabytes so that will not be the issue here.

Do you get any error messages reported and if so, can you post them here.

Are you on ADSL or dialup?
N/A

Large email attachments

Hi, we have 1meg ADSL. The only message we got was "smtp server timed out"

We have now got the file to go, but it took five minutes to send?
N/A

Large email attachments

A 5MB attachment, will actualy grow in size when attaching it to an e-mail, due to the way it is translated into a suitable means for e-mail.

This is why e-mail is so inefficient for file transfer.

The rule is, to allow for 34% growth in size.

At that size, it would take 3 1/2 mins, if running flat out. If you are using the connection for anything, that could account for the increased time upto 5 mins.
N/A

Large email attachments

ok thanks Philip, sounds like we will have to live with that. Also I suppose its only a 1meg connection for downloading its only 256k up, so i suppose that speed applies to the email does it ?
N/A

Large email attachments

Yes.

1Mb is used for downloading. This includes getting webpages, receiving e-mail and such.

The 256Kb upload is the same on all DSL products from BT (and thus PlusNet), and is used for requesting webpsage, uploading e-mail and other "sending" operations.

AKA, regardless of which ISP you are with, the time it takes will be the same.
danep
Grafter

Large email attachments

I also had this problem and found that increasing the server timeout value in Outlook helped.

Regards
Dane