cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LLU / Max DSL broken : could a router help?

N/A

I'll try to be brief (serious):

I have been LLU'd on the 1st of june. Since then and until last week I have been unable to hold a connection for a decent amount of time (<1 minute), more specifically I was able to synch but unable to surf the web, as soon as I tried everything froze (3 lights on the voyager 105 constantly on). Before that I had a very stable 2Mbps connection with which I was very happy.

I have now been de-LLU'd and put back on an IPstream product which I suspect to be MaxDSL because the modem status says: 8Mbps down, 448 kbps up. Unfortunately, the same symptoms persist, everything freezes, which suggests a problem with my line, possibly my gear.

My question is: should I try a router in place of the tiny USB modem? Many will tell me that I should but I also have read conflicting views on these forums, ie people for whom a router made no difference or cases where the a USB modem actually worked better than a modem. I am looking for someone who had a positive experience in that respect. Also I am using a iBook G4, could that be an issue?

thanks,

M.
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Instead of having to lash out and buy a router can you possibly borrow one from a friend.

Personaly I would always recommend one rather than a USB modem as they are a known problem source.
N/A

Hi there,

Like John, I will always recommend a router. They dont require drivers are not reliant on the usb hub to provide adequate power and unless you buy a dodgy one should always give better performance.

The added security and functionality which most routers now provide is also a selling point.
N/A

unless you buy a dodgy one

Thanks for the advice. Can you recommend non-dodgy ones and is there a particular brand that is best avoided? I am looking for a wireless one. My iBook is WiFi equiped, but my girlfriend's PC laptop is not. Do some routers come with a PC card or something along those lines?

regards,

M.
N/A

Well I have now been put back on home2000 (from MaxDSL via LLU) and it works great (with the voyager 105 usb), I thought I'd let everyone know Cheesy .

M.
N/A

I'm an advocate of the Netgear range; I use a DG834GT, but basically the cheapest Netgear one you can find with built in wireless should be more than adequate in most situations.

The salespeople will try to tell you that you should go for 108M WiFi although if all you require is wireless connection to the 'net 54M or even 11M will be adequate. The higher powered ones offering faster speeds will not give you a faster web connection, but they do offer faster file transfers between networked machines, and a larger wireless range.

Look out for bundled deals where you get a USB WiFi dongle to use with the missus' lappy.
(You can also connect to them using a Cat5 network cable - every laptop I've come across less than 5yrs old has an ethernet connection to plug it into - its like the modem socket but wider - the cable is supplied with most routers, regardless of brand)
N/A

Thanks for the advice, I was thinking about the netgear one or the thompson speedtouch 585. Do you happen to know if either of those supports the vitual desktop thing? (whereby I can connect to my computer at work from home and have the desktop screen on my laptop at home). That's quite badly expressed but hope it makes sense. I think the generic name is "VPN". On my iBook, I do a ssh (which presumably does the connection bit) and then use a program called "Chicken of the VNC" (which does the remote screen display bit). I have heard for example that the BT voyager 2100 does not support VPN.

UPDATE 24/08 am: In fact I just found out that the netgear G/GT does offer VPN