cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LCP no response

N/A

LCP no response

My connection has suddenly stopped working. I get "LCP no response" from my modem/router (D-Link DSL-504). I have tried re-booting many times, also doing a factory reset and a firmware reload but all without success. It was working ok and then just stopped yesterday for no apparanet reason. Any advice would be gratefully received. Thank you.
3 REPLIES
prichardson
Grafter

LCP no response

HI,

This could signify anything from a fault to a broken modem. As such, there are a few things you can do first.

The first one is to ensure your modem is configured properly. What may have worked in the past, may not work in the future, if the past settings were not the ones that should have been used in the first place.

The settings you should ensure are OK can be found on [THIS] page.

For example, in the past many exchanges would support the LLC settings as well as VC Multiplexed. VC Multiplexed has always been the specific setting needed, but many people went with the what works, works methodology.

If your modem has an automatic setting, try manual. It may have started thinking there are new settings.

If this is correct or fails, the next best thing to try is to power down your mode, or simpler still, disconnect it from the phone line for a period of at least 60 minutes.

This ensures that any BT network related stale session is cleared off. This is were BT think your still connected and new requests are simply ignored.

If this fails, you last test is to reconfigure your modem to use the following username & password details.

First you should try a username of bt_test_user@plusdsl.net (or use @plus.net if your exsiting broadband username was in that format). A password of test is sufficient (though no password is needed, some modems dont like a blank).

The second test username to try is bt_test@startup_domain with the password of test again (the same rules apply).

With these two, they will not allow you to browse the internet, however they should allow you on to http://www.bt.net/digitaldemo

Depending on how you have configured your computer, this should work, but doesn't in all cases, so trying the IP address is also wise.

http://194.74.80.16/digitaldemo

Regardless of the outcome, try returning to your usual username and password at this point, and test the connection.

In some cases, these usernames can be enough to cause the BT network into resetting your connection, or clearing out any correupt settings in your modem (even after a factory reset).

Should it not work at this time, you should report it to us as a fault.

Kind Regards,
N/A

LCP no response

Phil, you are a genius. Thank you!

Changing "PPPoA LLC" to "PPPoA VC mux" fixed it. I'm sure that the LLC setting has worked for years but maybe something has changed.

Thanks again for your help.
prichardson
Grafter

LCP no response

Hi,

No problems.

As per my message, the VC settings has been the advertised one since the dawn of ADSL from BT (or at least the full product).

Both LLC and PPPoE settings have over time been made available for specific uses on the network, and have allowed many consumer products to operate if set to them.

They have never however been made available as officialy supported, so many products that default to them, and as a result worked, as subject to breaage like in this case.

Glad to have helped.