cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LAN speed 10 or 100 Mbps

N/A

LAN speed 10 or 100 Mbps

Hi,

I have an (old) 'MSI KT2 combo' motherboard which has an onboard 'VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter'. It is connected to a Billion 7402VGP modem router. The LAN speed is reported as being 10.0 Mbps (control panel - local area connectioon status and also by the modem). Why isn't it operating at 100 Mbps as I believe everything should.
I previously used a Netgear moden router and this appeared to operate at the same (slower) speed. Anyone know why this should be?

Dave
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

LAN speed 10 or 100 Mbps

That mobo uses the VIA Networking Tahoe VT6103 controller which supports 10/100Mbs operation.

Have you loaded the chipset drivers for the mobo. It may be using the generic microsoft drivers which may only support or limit it to 10Mbs.

You can find the drivers here.
N/A

LAN speed 10 or 100 Mbps

Thanks for the suggestion Peter. I have checked and I do have the latest driver.

Dave
N/A

LAN speed 10 or 100 Mbps

in the properties of the network adaptor, there should be an "advanced" tab which lists some extra settings - you should see link speed settings in there such as 10/100/Auto. The usual to set it to is Auto.
N/A

LAN speed 10 or 100 Mbps

Thanks. I've had a look at the properties. In the properties of the Network adapter there is an advanced tab with a list of properties and values.

There is not one for link speed. The closest is 'Connection Type' with possibilities of :-
Auto-Negotiation (as set)
100baseTx Full Duplex
10baseTx Full Duplex
100baseTx Half Duplex
10baseTx Half Duplex
Changing this has no effect on LAN speed.

Other properties present are:-
Adaptive Interrupt
Flow Control
Network Address
Receive Buffers
Transmit Buffers

I am using Windows XP.
N/A

LAN speed 10 or 100 Mbps

Hmmm... assuming the billion has it's ports running at full speed (more than likely) then "Auto" should negotiate a 100meg link. It could be a low quality cable... or sometimes the BIOS settings override the windows settings. When you reboot your computer and go into the BIOS, can you change any configuration for the built-in network card?
N/A

LAN speed 10 or 100 Mbps

I've looked in the BIOS and there are no settings in there to control LAN speed. I've changed the cable for another (the one which came with router - CAT 5 apparantly) but still no joy. I'm probably stuck with this at the moment.

In practice is there any noticable speed difference (using one PC)?
N/A

LAN speed 10 or 100 Mbps

In practice is there any noticable speed difference (using one PC)?

If you've just the one PC connected to the router, it shouldn't make much difference as the 10Mbps network should be able to cope with the capacity of your internet connection. However, you may see some slowdown if you have got one of the faster ADSL connections.