cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeps conking out

N/A

Keeps conking out

I excitedly installed my new Premium ADSL yesterday - and, apart from that I think the set up instructions provided way less than adequate (it took me most of the day just to get it to work at all, by moving around splitters, phones etc .... ) I find that my connection conks out rather too frequently (and I can only reconnect if I disconnecting the modem USB!!). In particular, I lose connection when FTPing. I've now resorted to uploading my files by dial-up (fortunately still have it), which rather defeats the whole object of having ADSL ..... Any pointers please anybody? Thanks.
20 REPLIES
N/A

Keeps conking out

I'm having trouble today too .. ther might be some maintenance going on
N/A

Keeps conking out

Hi frances,

There a number of reasons this may be happening. Have a read at these tutorials from the Tutorials and Faq section of the forum.

1. Tutorials & FAQs: ADSL: Trouble Shooting

2. Tutorials & FAQs: ADSL: Wiring and Filters

These should help and advise.

Post back and let us know how you get on.
N/A

Keeps conking out

Hi - thanks for this. I've read through it all and there is nothing obvious to explain my problems. This afternoon, I could barely keep a connection at all! I still cannot upload to my FTP client (although there is no problem through dial-up) Very small files are OK - but larger ones, everything cuts out halfway through (doesn't happen on dial-up, although, of course, this is dreadfully slow!)

I just did a speed test on ADSL guide. It came back with this:

Direction

Actual Speed

True Speed (estimated)
Downstream 926 Kbps (115.8 KB/sec) 1000 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 243 Kbps (30.4 KB/sec) 262 Kbps (inc. overheads)

'Actual Speed' is the amount of useful data that your connection can transmit/receive per second. The 'True Speed' figure includes an approximation of data overheads (non-useful data) and is estimated to be around 8%. 'True Speed' is for informational purposes only and is not used in any ISP rankings.

NOTE: Your downstream speed result is very low for the type of connection specified (ADSL/RADSL, 2Mbps). We strongly recommend that you check your Internet connection is not being used elsewhere during the test and/or contact your ISP to resolve speed issues you may be experiencing.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My wiring is similar to that given in the tutorial. From my main telephone socket, I have just two extension leads. One goes upstairs (with splitter and phone) - and the other, out here where I work. On that I have the other splitter, to which the modem lead + lead to phone is attached. (I need an extra splitter as I need a third extension from the main socket, so that I can use the phone in the sitting room, where it belongs!

So, all a bit of a mystery. When it works, it works fine - but it cuts off so frequently - and doesn't like fTP all that much!
craigbrass
Grafter

Keeps conking out

Well try pulling all phones out of all sockets and connecting the modem to the main socket using a splitter. If you still get the problems, give PlusNet a call and they should be able to provide you with further advice and things to try.
N/A

Keeps conking out

Hi

Sounds a good idea - trouble is, my computer is miles from the phone socket!!! I would need either to move my computer, somehow, or get a modem extension (which I presume are available?)

cheers
craigbrass
Grafter

Keeps conking out

Nicking a friends laptop is preferable *winks*.

Using a long extention would defeat the object as long cables somtimes cause the problems in the first place.
N/A

Keeps conking out

Erm, I've got a laptop ..... but I don't have the ADSL installed on it (it's really ancient and I'm not sure it would work!) - but I could do, couldn't I?! (Plan to wireless it, along with son's computer, once I get going .... some knowhow .... some cash!)
craigbrass
Grafter

Keeps conking out

Aslong as its 98SE or above, it should be fine. Just install the drivers and plug the modem into the USB port.
Geez
Grafter

Keeps conking out

Two suggestions:-

1. If the USB connection is through a hub, try connecting the modem directly to the computer

2. Run Error Check ( disable your screensaver while it's doing it)

May help
N/A

Keeps conking out

1. If the USB connection is through a hub, try connecting the modem directly to the computer

Erm. I always hesitate coming to these kinds of forums - so you will know I am really desperate when I do.... I don't know what you mean (I'm so ignorant!!). My USBs go into a kind of 4-way adaptor at the back of my PC - is that a hub?! (I'm married to one of those! Smiley) So you think I should try it with the hub out? I maybe have a spare actually. I BUILT this PC myself - only a few months ago (yes, it still works!!) - and I DON'T KNOW!!! I also bought a cabinet with front USB ports, but those don't appear to work .... )

Erm...... ??
:?

(Not got around to the lappie yet - I am rather fed up with it all, right now - although I've had a good connection all evening - apart from when I tried to upload something on FTP, that is!)

Thanks guys!
Geez
Grafter

Keeps conking out

Erm. My USBs go into a kind of 4-way adaptor at the back of my PC - is that a hub?! (I'm married to one of those! Smiley) So you think I should try it with the hub out? I maybe have a spare actually. I BUILT this PC myself - only a few months ago (yes, it still works!!) - and I DON'T KNOW!!! I also bought a cabinet with front USB ports, but those don't appear to work .... )

Erm...... ?

You built your own computer! :shock: Much braver than me!

1. Is the 4 way adaptor separate from the computer? If so, it's an external USB hub (as opposed to a hubby Smiley ) so try connecting the modem directly into one of the computer's USB ports. If you haven't got an external USB hub, go to point 2. which you can do anyway.

2. Error Check was called ScanDisk in pre XP versions of Windows. If you've got XP:-

Turn off your screen saver by right clicking on your desktop, Properties, Screen Saver and select "none" then go to

My Computer, Hard Disk, Properties, Tools - tick the options and Start, then do something else for a while until it's finished, then reboot

May help and can't do any harm Wink
N/A

Re: Keeps conking out

..... Any pointers please anybody? Thanks.

Yeah change your ISP, Plus.net suck I've had nothing but problems and no answers over the last 2 weeks
csogilvie
Grafter

Keeps conking out

Yet there are 100000+ people that are using them for ADSL with no problems...
N/A

Keeps conking out

Hello guys

Thought I should report back that I invested in another splitter - sorted out my cables, plugged the modem directly into it's own USB slot (rather than the hub) and, yesterday, I only conked out once! ('Fraid to speak too soon here .... ) I still cannot upload large files via FTP, which is a nuisance and a mystery - but getting there!

Thanks for all advice!

P.S. Building your own computer is easy, or I wouldn't have done it! Smiley