cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keep Getting "No dial tone" !

flicker
Grafter

Hi, have been getting a problem when I try to connect, the above error message comes up in the dial-up box, "no dial tone, please check that modem and computer is plugged into the phone line" or words to that effect. Well they always are, if I pick up the phone, there is a dial tone, andthere has been no change from the last time I was online, so why does it keep doing it? I have to try about 6 times to connect. Any suggestions as to where the problem is please? :?:
21 REPLIES
N/A

Hi have you changed your modem or ISP?
flicker
Grafter

Yes to PlusNet and Broadband! On Thursday last week, and it was fine until yesterday and again today, every time I go to dial up the Voyager modem it says no dial tone :?
N/A

Have you checked your wiring and filter setup against that listed in the tutorials section?
Community Veteran

I.e. if your using a ADSLfilter/splitter, the ADSL modem must not be connected to the phone side of it, it must connect to the DSL/ADSL side.
flicker
Grafter

Have you checked your wiring and filter setup against that listed in the tutorials section?

Yes, it is done correctly Sad

[Moderator's note (by Chris P.): Enabled BBCode as you've used it]
flicker
Grafter

I.e. if your using a ADSLfilter/splitter, the ADSL modem must not be connected to the phone side of it, it must connect to the DSL/ADSL side.

Not with you - the plug on the end of the ADSL modem cable can only go into one bit on the filter/splitter, and it is clearly marked. The plugs are completely different for the telephone and the modem.

Thanks, I appreciate that you are trying to help, but I am getting extremely peed off with it now - it has taken me 20 minutes to connect tonight. This afternoon, I tried at about 3.30 pm and it connected first time. Now, I got the No Dial Tone Error about 10 times, then I tried a different method of connecting (double clicking the icon in the bottom right corner, and clicking connect from the box that comes up) This time, again, over and over again, I got Error 691, Access denied because username and/or password was invalid on the domain. I just kept on re-clicking and on the fourth attempt it connected. So what the hell is up with it? Evil

[Moderator's note (by Chris P.): Enabled BBCode as you've used it]
N/A

There have been problems with connections tonight anyway, see the service status pages.
N/A

voyager modem and no dial tone

The problem is actually something to do with your computer setup.
If you are using a Mac, you may want to disable the internal modem from the extensions. It is common with that modem that the mac tries to use the internal (dialup modem) before finding the voyager.
If you are on a windows based machine, go into network connections and delete all of your connections. uninstall the voyager drivers, open internet explorer, go to tools > internet options and then click on the advanced tab. Choose reset to defaults. Click apply, and go to the connections tab. make sure that there are no connections listed (delete those that are), and restart your PC.
Install the voyager drivers (which should ask to reboot as part of the process)
Create a new connection to an always on connection and make sure that you select the voyager as your modem. if it is unavailable then you have a problem with the drivers or have chosen the wrong kind of connection.
It should work fine this time.
Good luck Wink
Speedburn
flicker
Grafter

Re: voyager modem and no dial tone

Wow, thanks for all that invaluable info. I shall digest and have a go a bit later, hopefully I can do it without a major mess-up. I use a laptop with WinXP actually, so I guess I can still uninstall the modem okay. I am a bit reluctant though I must admit, because if PlusNet are off, it means I can't even use any of my other PAYG accounts on the normal phoneline (which I had to do yesterday) What do you reckon?

[Moderator's note (by Chris P.): Quote removed as it was an exact copy of the post directly preceding this one, and was therefore unnecessary]
Community Veteran

You should not need to delete any modem configs/setups.

As long as the ADSL modem is set as your default in the IE connections tab and you have 'always dial my default connection' set it should only try to connect via the ADSL modem.
flicker
Grafter

Thanks Peter for the info. This is in fact the case (default/always dial etc) but I still had this problem when I tried to get online again earlier, it just keeps saying no dialling tone, so I just keep on pressing the connect, and eventually it will go - took 20 minutes again. Something can't be right.
Community Veteran

You have a USB modem... have you tried plugging it into a different USB port - preferably a USB2 port rather than a USB1.1 port.

It's possible you are having USB power issues but there is no simple solution if this is the case. It involves buying a powered USB2 hub but this does not always solve the problem. The other option is to replace it with an Ethernet connected external ADSL modem/router (+ a network card if your PC does not have an network port), but this will cost £30+ or more.

It is always possible that the modem itself is faulty. The only option then is to return it to plusnet for a replacement but you would be without ADSL for the time it takes to get another modem from plusnet.

If you have an old 56K modem, try using the phone cable from it on your ADSL modem (just plug the cable directly into the wallsocket without a filter)
flicker
Grafter

Thanks once more for the help. I have tried using a different modem cable plugged direct into the phone socket - still got no dial tone. So I have now installed the Voyager modem onto another computer - a proper desktop one, not a laptop, and I still got no dial tone. So it would appear that it's not a power issue. It would seem to me that either there is something wrong with the phone line (doubtful as there is a dial tone for the telephone when I test it whilst doing this) or indeed the modem itself is faulty. I have just tried to connect since 8.50 this morning. I gave up and again am having to use the last few days of my old isp on 56k dial up. :x
holdtight
Grafter

You say you have recently joined plusnet, from which ISP?
and i am assuming that you have the modem from your last isp
that you are using to connect to plusnet, or is it a modem that you have
bought yourself when you joined ?

i ask because if you are using the driver disk to install your modem
that came from another isp they can be known to install there own software
and other assorted rubbish with it,
mentioning no names (BT) Wink

i may be way off track as far as your problems go but i have seen this
happen before
if this is the case i would locate just the drivers for your modem, the manufacturers website is a good place to look
uninstall it then reinstall with just the drivers you have downloaded

Good luck