cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just joinining PN - have I chosen the right package?

N/A

Have I done the right thing?? I know a lot about PCs but some of the techno-speak surrounding ADSL means nothing to me.
My first experience with ADSL was a BT Business 500 service provided by my employer. This was great and seemed to have no limitations on downloads etc. My 2 sons used it quite a lot too - MSN, On-line Games, and the odd download. I have no idea how much we downloaded between us, nor can I easily predict such things with 2 teenagers in the house.
I chose Broadband Plus as it was 1mb (in my case) and didn't seem to have any download restrictions/limits and the price was right.
I have been reading various discussions on the forums related to new 'sustainable usage' policy but confusingly they only seem to apply to the Premier service. Some people seem very upset at the new limits now imposed.
The advertising blurb for the Plus service still says something like 'no need to worry about how much you download'. I have had a real dig around for T&Cs relating to limits and I can't find any. Do they exist? Am I likely to get slapped with the "you've been a very naughy boy" email some people have been getting?
Any advice, especially if you can tell me what the limits are, would be much appreciated.
David Lawrence
8 REPLIES
N/A

If you are on the Broadband Plus (£14.99) package, then no, you will not get a "You have been naughty" message from PlusNet.

Broadband Plus has restrictions on specific traffic types, such that those that are normaly associated with causing the "You have been a nau..." messages. These restrictions slow down (a lot) the rate of transfer for these connections, so that huge amounts of transfer can't take place.

Examples of the traffic types alowed down include P2P (bittorrent and fileshare related networks), usenet.

This allows traffic like htto (web-browsing) and email to take place at the fastest possible speed.
N/A

OK things are getting clearer. Two more questions if you don't mind...
1. Would the restrictions apply to on-line gaming? My sons like playing Counter Strike and similar games across the web.
2. Do the restrictions apply all the time, or just at times of peak contention?
Number 1 son has been known to fileshare from time to time, so I need to understand whether it will simply be slow all the time, or just at peak times.
Thanks
Dave
Community Veteran

1) no
2) all the time, although will be slightly faster off peak.
N/A

With regards to gaming, the answer is actualy "depends".

Some games use P2P to self-download patches, so these downloads may be slower. Actual gameplay will not be affected though.
N/A

OK final question then I'm happy....
- these restrictions, which apply to p2p and the like - do they render these functions unusable? Do people still do p2p etc or is it simply not worth it?

I just need to know whether number 1 son will totally disown me if I stay with the Plus Service..... (now there's a thought).
N/A

Your son will disown you, regardless of what you do, so what does it matter over a file download Tongue

Oh, that wasn't the aim of thw question Cheesy

It doesn't simply stop them, they are just slow. People report speeds as low as 20KB/s (about one third of a 512Kb connection).
N/A

Thanks very much for the info.
I think I'll probably stick with the Plus Service for now and see how we get on. Presumably I can upgrade to Premier if I need to, to stop my son from leaving home.......
Dave
Cheesy
N/A

You can indeed upgrade for free, but moving back down again would incure an admin charge.

Is it such a bad thing for him to leave home Tongue