cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just bought broadband

Andrea2006
Grafter

Just bought broadband

After being on dial up for so long , we finally got broadband here on the 10th may, so i decided to order it today..
Hope i can get it all set up soon.

Anyways, i am currently on freeserve anytime, dial up, and decided to do a speed test.. I cant understand how, but i connect to the internet at 45.2Kpbs but i get this result when doing the speed..
127.90kpbs download at 15.99KB/sec

Also , what will this increase to with 2mb premier broadband?

Thanks
7 REPLIES
lowry
Grafter

Just bought broadband

On 2Mbit broadband you should see about 1850-1880kbit/sec downstream (approx. 220kbit/sec) althoguh it is contended connection so it can vary.

matt Wink
LiamM
Grafter

Just bought broadband

That is an error. I wouldn't trust that result.

Perhaps try the ADSLGuide Speedtest (http://www.adslguide.org.uk).

Just to give you an idea. I am on Plusnet Broadband Premier 2Mb and I get the following :

Your current speed is:

1.72 Mbps (1763.6 kbps)

Which means you can download at 220.45 KB/sec. from our servers.

Bear in mind, I am on a network of 4 PCs. 3 of which are currently being used as I performed the test. So I rarely receive a major slowdown.

If I was on my own, at about 2am in the morning, I usually get about 1900kbps.

Nice, huh? Cool

You really will love it. I could never go back.
N/A

Making to move to 2MB's,Ivan

Hi andrea2005,

OK! I've been a long standing customer with Force9 ISP for many years now and started off with a normal dialup bronze account using a US Robotics modem which was supposed to run at 56K. But no matter what kind of internet connection you have what you must realise is that some of that bandwidth is taken up bye whats called the connection overhead (this can be from as little as 2% or as much as 10% of the actual connection bandwidth) So 56K is only the maximum theoretical speed possible.

**The speed test figures you quoted dont sound accurate for your connection type, I would expect for a normal dialup modem to get 49 to 50K downlink & possibly only slightlyless for uplink.

**OK!! the jump from your current service to a 2MB Broadband Premier service is truly wonderfull indeed and is quite hard to put into words accurately. So for example I used to have F9's ADSL home 512K service and I might get 60K/sec download when network conditions were good. Now speed tests today show my connection speeds to be 2.1MBps & a download speed of 250K/sec.

Ivan

---------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
LiamM
Grafter

Re: Making to move to 2MB's,Ivan

Now speed tests today show my connection speeds to be 2.1MBps & a download speed of 250K/sec.

That shouldn't be possible.
N/A

Replying

Hi LIam,

Well despite what you say, thats what the F9 test tool says in black & white and I have been getting the same results on a regular basis. I have to say I only live 1.3 Kilometers from my BT exchange.

**So OK if this is wrong what would you expect it to be??

Ivan
LiamM
Grafter

Just bought broadband

Distance to the exchange wouldn't make any difference.

Once the connection is in sync, then the data rate should allow the maximum throughput.

But due to overheads at the exchange, actually reaching speeds of 2048kbps are impossible atm.
N/A

Line speeds & Test results

Hi Liam,

My line connection speed say's I'm connected at 2.2MB's and regular speed tests from other testers such as DSLReports or ZDNET say above 2MB's so its not just F9's tool saying this.

Ivan