cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It is Ridiculous

mundiz

It is Ridiculous

In Korea they are getting bandwidths of 270mb and we can't even maintain 250kb

Its about time BT got their arses kicked.

I remember when the UK was at the leading edge of technology Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil
8 REPLIES
N/A

Playing Catch up?

Hi mundiz,

Sadly, I disagree with you the UK has never been cutting edge in internet or computing & the Koreans took a high level government & industry desicions to implement high speed & high quality networking with light & dark fiber optics many many years ago. Even back years ago it cost Korea miliion & millions of dollars to implement there networks but its only now that the internet has taken off that they are seing the true value of this investment.

**Even France & Germany are way out ahead of us, in Paris I believe you can now get 8MB's ADSL service,line rental, voice calls, email service, webspace,etc for £10.82 per month. Yes! very annoying I agree.

**We might just about catch up in the next 18mths here in the UK.

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

It is Ridiculous

It's partly because of the people who kick BT's arses that we are so far behind. OffCom hold BT back a lot in the name of competition.

Also a lot of these contries with far superior systems have backing from the government, which (as much as Mr Blair says they do) BT have no help from the government.

Phil
N/A

It is Ridiculous

Also a lot of these contries with far superior systems have backing from the government, which (as much as Mr Blair says they do) BT have no help from the government.

This was a valid point when maggie was around, but BT are a private company now. So they're on their own now, if the government gave them a helping hand, how many other companies could ask for the same, where would it stop.
FireStorm
Grafter

It is Ridiculous

That is rubbish, Offcom simply regulate ALL UK Telecoms company's. They do not dictate the shape of the UKs telecoms infrastructure, They slap BT from time to time for being anti-competitive. We will soon be getting 8mb for £39 per month, Isnt that what 512k cost when it was first out?

BT is not the only telecoms company in the UK with cables in the ground, And if you want 10/100/1000mb fiber into your house connected BT will be more than happy to supply you with a it.... sure it will cost you a pretty penny, but the service is available.

I am not BT's biggest fan, but if you did your research i think you will discover they are investing in the UK's future.

Bitching at BT will not solve anything... I would be more than suprised if many users TRULY need more than the 16mb connections that ADSL2 will bring. 16mb will no doubt do for a long while yet. by which time Wireless and other fairly new technologies may well have matured to be a viable high speed always on service.
N/A

It is Ridiculous

That is rubbish, Offcom simply regulate ALL UK Telecoms company's. They do not dictate the shape of the UKs telecoms infrastructure, They slap BT from time to time for being anti-competitive.

And at times they stop Bt from being competitive.
If BT want to reduce their prices they have to put them to ofcam first... Do cable co's nope...
Lets face it cable co's can give you a free high speed internet connection. Can BT nope.... Ofcom say that Bt are being being anti-competitive....
BT have to price their products, even trail one's have to make money (ofcom says so) Do the cable co's nope.....
How come Certain Llu operators can offer high speed internet for £9.99 yet BT cant... Oh yes ofcom says BT cant as its.... being anti-competitive.....
Its about time that BT was giving a freer hand to price products as they want not how some quango thinks they should.
Free market forces for ALL telcoms Co's... NOT one rule for Bt and another for the rest....
LiamM
Grafter

It is Ridiculous

It's true. In the past, Ofcom (or Oftel as they were) have restricted BT quite heavily from development, on a number of occasions.
Community Veteran

It is Ridiculous

They still do.

They held BT back several years from developing ADSL and similar technologies in a vein effort to help the lazy cable companies who round here in Sheffield still havent got round to cabling areas with rows of terraced houses, full of students and no gardens!

BT are lazy and backward (I know, I used to work for them), but so are Oftel / Ofcom, the cable companies and just about everyone else. I also don't think the govenment should be worrying about whether someone can get 8meg, 30meg or fibre ADSL at the moment, remember there are still areas in the country with no ADSL and certainly no cable services at all.
N/A

It is Ridiculous

The standard, default speed in Japan is 12 meg - dunno how much it costs,though :? .