cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with sending e-mail since setting up broadband

N/A

Hi there

I've had my broadband for about 2 weeks now and I am having trouble sending e-mails fromone of my accounts... I used to be with lineone/tiscali and I still have that mailbox in the outgoing mail SMTP.

I am recieving mail fon this addy but I just can't send anything... I tried changing the SMTP to relay.plus.net and it asked me for my pasword, I typed in the password and it asked me again, as if I had got it wrong.. I am pretty sure I hadn't.... I have changed it back to lineone now for the moment...

Is this an issue to take up with my e-mail account provider or is it an issue with plusnet as my broadband supplier?

I just don't understand.... sorry for being dense.... I just want to be able to send e-mails..

Thanks

Heather
7 REPLIES
MysteryFCM
Grafter

If the client is having problems with your Lineone SMTP server, and you are using your Lineone account details with it, then the problem resides with Lineone I'm afraid.

You cannot use the PlusNet relay with non-plusnet accounts (to my knowledge anyway)
N/A

Nearly all ISP only allow you to send mail via their smtp if you are logged on and have one of their IP's. It stops spammers sending emails.

You can recieve mail from other ISP but cant send it. The only way you can send it is if they have a webased webmail
N/A

You may just have to dialup your old lineone account in order to send from it.
N/A

Sending e-mails via plus net

Use your existing incoming sever (pop3) but you have to use relay.plus.net in the out going sever (stmp)to send. Works fine for all my Email accounts with other ISP's
N/A

Hi Heather,

Welcome to the forums.

it may also be worth checking that you have not enabled smtp authentication for this account.

There should be an option to deselect this within your email client.

Plus Net do not use this whereas some ISP's do.
N/A

E-mails

Should have mentioned the authentication issue
N/A

Hi Guys.. thanks for all the replies... now I'm really confused...

I never used to have a problem with my e-mail accounts.. and I think that it is unconnected with the plusnet broadband to be honest, I think it was just a conincidence.. it started the happen now and then but now it's all the time.

The e-mail account that I am having trouble with is one through a friend of mine, not a recognised isp... not having much luck getting him to sort it though...

I do have the authentication thing checked, he told me to do that.. should I try un-checking it?

ruamotu says use the plusnet relay... mysteryfcm says no.. huhHuh :? :? Sad :shock:

I don't really want to use my dial-up, what was the point in shelling out for broadband if I do thisHuh also I don't want to unplug the broadband coz I had to cable-tie the plug to the socket to get it to work.. hardware issues....cable ties and blue tac the answer to all life's woes :?

So I feel I'm no closer.... Sad Sad Sad Cry Cry

Kind Regards

Heather